Oil for 944 Turbo???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo with 69k miles. The previous owner has used Mobil 1 15w-50 for many years (I assume through all iterations of M1).

I plan to run an Auto-Rx treatment now. Should I use a dino like Chevron/Pennzoil/Etc for the treatment? I am nervous about not using synth with the turbo.

Also, once I am done with the Auto-Rx, what oil would you choose? Brand and weight and willing to spend some money on this car
smile.gif

TIA
Max

Nice car

You can use the AutoRX with the M1 that's in now. Unless it looks really nasty I would do that. The longer the better. Change filter before putting RX in.
Good call using the RX.
And if it were mine I would use either RL 10w40 or actually if I had one of those I'd splurge and give VP Racing 10w40 a try.

I was under the impression that using ARX with a synth like M1 that contains ester was not as effective as using it with dino oil. Is this no longer true?

Any other suggestions besides RL and VP? VP is 100% ester. Is that bad to use in a street car? What about the Schaefer's blend? What exactly am I looking for in a turbo oil? How about Delvac 1?

Thanks,
Max

How about M1 15W50...

What condition is the engine/turbo in...that would be an obvious indicator of how the M1 worked.

Delvac 1 is also an excellent oil in 5W40...(it's a HD M1, essentially)

Do some reading (here, of course!) and see what people think...!!!

gr_stretch.gif

My mechanic pointed to a few 944t in his shop that had blown engines on M1 15w-50. He hates it and Castrol Syntec 5w-50 is the only synth he uses. It goes against what many people think here, but I trust my BOSCH Mechanic, period. See my earlier post on Syntec 5w-50 a page or two down.

M1 15w50 is an option. I just want to know what other options I might have that could be better. Should I run something in teh 15w-50 or 10w-40? Should this be seasonal.

I have a place here in town that I can get RL for ~$8/qt. That isn't much more than the M1.

The engine is in good shape as is the turbo. And yes, the timing belt was replaced along with the water pump about 7k miles ago. I have full maintenance records for the car (even have the original window sticker). Can I link to a website with some pictures? I am not sure if that is legal on here.

Thanks,
Max

quote:

Can I link to a website with some pictures? I am not sure if that is legal on here.

Certainly! We'd love to see some pics!

PS-when I was 16 (in 1986) I wanted a Porsche 944 turbo more than any other car! I had posters of it all over my room!

You can get RL even cheaper from the site sponsor. All ester is fine and neither oil will harm anything.

ARX instructions have been modified to account for synthetic use. Go at least the full recommended distance and it will be good.

Couple questions...if previous owner was using M-1 15-50, then why bother with auto-rx? The engine should already be clean. Secondly, why switch? What grade does the owner's manual say to use?

That's funny Patman, I've always wanted a 928...

Didn't realize we're about the same age...what high school did you go to?

Here is a link to a few pictures: My new 944 Turbo

I certainly do like the car myself. It is quite fast (a few small mods).

The was going to run an auto-rx just because I want the peace of mind of an extra clean engine. I know M1 cleans well, but Auto-Rx can't hurt. It is also good for the seals.

What about NEO oil? Or Royal Purple? I do plan to track this car, so the oil will be severely taxed. I am willing to spend a few extra bucks/qt to get better protection.

Oh and I have heard a few bad things about the high weight oils with the 944 Turbos.

Should I use something closer to a 10w-40?

Maybe I should be the first to do some NEO analysis? They make some big claims.
smile.gif

Max

If you plan on tracking the car, I hope that you have good oil temp and pressure gauges. This way, you could pick the oil that provides the most pressure and/or coolest temp while at the track.

Enjoy comparing all the synths. I wouldn't use anything else. You'll see that some or overrated and others definitely underrated.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
That's funny Patman, I've always wanted a 928...

Didn't realize we're about the same age...what high school did you go to?

Meadowvale Secondary! My parents lived (and still live) right behind it.

I loved the 928 too, but not as much as the 944 Turbo. The former owner of my dad's company had a real nice 928, in a rare baby blue color. A Porsche dealer wanted it so badly he offered him cash PLUS a new 928 (at the time his 928 was about 10 years old!) but the guy turned it down! I think he still has it.

quote:

Originally posted by macnewma:
Here is a link to a few pictures: My new 944 Turbo

I certainly do like the car myself. It is quite fast (a few small mods).

The was going to run an auto-rx just because I want the peace of mind of an extra clean engine. I know M1 cleans well, but Auto-Rx can't hurt. It is also good for the seals.

What about NEO oil? Or Royal Purple? I do plan to track this car, so the oil will be severely taxed. I am willing to spend a few extra bucks/qt to get better protection.

Very nice car!

I suggest whatever oil you choose, make sure to do oil analysis on it to see how the wear numbers look, then decide from there. You might find an oil like 5w40 Redline would work out very well in this car.

Getting back on topic, Frank had advised me to use dino oil, certainly for the rinse (maybe for treatment as well), as it would do a better job. This is despite the change to treatment miles on his website. It is on this forum. Sorry don't have the time to show the link here atm.

If your doing the ARX deal, then definitely use a mineral oil: Chevron Supreme and Pennzoil top the list.

Have you had the vehicle long enough to document oil consumption?

With this engine, I figure you have two choices:

Synthetic
HDEO - Heavy Duty Engine Oil, either 5w-40 or 15w-40.

I'd run at least a 40 weight.

Mobil1 15w-50
Redline 5w-40

You could run a mineral HDEO (And HDEO's are the only mineral oils I recommend in turbo applications!) 15w-40, but unless you just don't want to pay a bunch on oil, I'd recommend something else.

I think I'd go with Mobil Delvac1 5w-40...a great oil, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back