Oil for 92 Chevy Van with 4.3L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother bought a 92 Chevy van with 138,000 miles on it. He brought it to me hoping that I could give it a once over before he started to use it. I checked the oil and it was low and black. I looked underneath and the filter was an AC Delco that looked old and covered with crud. I changed it with 4.5 qts Havoline HM and a Puralator filter. Any thoughts as to how long I should have him leave it in there? I think 3,000 miles may be right for the first one. Then possibly longer.

When I drained the oil it was jet black and there was only 2 maybe 2.5 quarts in there (including the oil I drained from the filter).

Recommedations welcome from people who have the 4.3L.

Hi

I a have an 99 GMC Safari with the 4.3 with 80K KM.

I would do a Auto-RX treatment on it, 2 bottles at least.

After that I would run LubeControl and Fuel Power if its in good shape.

offtopic.gif
There is another Forum for Astro and Safari owners called www.astrosafari.com if you need help with anything else.

Steve

Look, this vehicle is 12 years old and still running. What is the big deal? The guy that sold it says to himself "why should I change the oil, I am going to sell it anyway".

Change the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles with any quality dino oil and use a good filter (I personally like the purolator pure one) and drive it.

The engine will still be going when the trans quits.

A 15W40 HDEO seems to work well in these engines and slows down consumption from the typical leaky valve seals. The extra detergents couldnt hurt either given the condition of the oil that came out.

I am running 15W40 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super in a 245,000 mi example and it slowed consumption from 1 Qt every 1500 mi ( 10W30 PCMO) to 1 Qt every 5000 mi.

BTW 15W-40 Delvac 1300 meets cold pumpability standard for a 10W so it should be okay in the winter in Chicago.

Gene

Mine seems to run smooth on and likes Max Life. ('87 Astro, 125k) It stopped the puff of blue smoke on start-up too. Currently on the second Auto-RX rinse using Havoline, which made a BIG difference in engine smoothness.

quote:

Originally posted by FordSVTGuy:

I changed it with 4.5 qts Havoline HM and a Puralator filter. Any thoughts as to how long I should have him leave it in there? I think 3,000 miles may be right for the first one. Then possibly longer.

Recommedations welcome from people who have the 4.3L.

I think your on the right track .A friend of mine who is a loyal Castrol guy had 160 something thousand miles on his 93 PU with the 4.3 a year ago .

It was using some oil between 4k oil changes and seeping and puffing on warm start so I told him about the Castrol HM oil . He bought the 10w-30 and called me asking why it got dark so quick " forget the miles " so I told him to hang in there with it .

Now after 1 year , 4 oil changes and 16k miles almost no oil used in 4k and the dipstick oil looks clean at 3k or so compared to how it was and smoke puff is gone so he says .

These HM oils are not gadjets . Some are better than others though I firmly believe and most won't see overnight success with them .

Even in good engines these oils are of value . Look at Patman's use of the Castrol HM oil in his Mothers car . I think 8 months of use and TBN was 8 or so
cheers.gif

Some are recommended for new cars as well although it sometimes is not on the makers websites , just on the bottle label .

Maxlife seems to hold it's own as well
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Really...what viscosity?

10w-30. After the ARX is finished I'm going to go to a blend or a full syn 2x a year. I have been changing the oil quarterly regardless of mileage, which isn't really a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back