Oil for 86 305 Chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 86 Chevy K10 4x4 305 auto. I think the engine is all stock with about 123K miles. I was wondering what would be the best oil to run it?

pyb or mobil clean 5000 for an oci with some mmo. If it does not use much then perhaps a synthetic if you wish. If its clean under the oil cap or you know the owner and the maintenance , you could skip the mmo cleaning phase.

Does it have an oil cooler? No best, just a best for your application. I've had a few and it depends really on the oil temps. you'll be seeing. I've used 15w-40 to 5w-20 currently, but I drive conservatively,never see high oil temps., and never saw a difference in wear. I'd say try a 5w-30 conventional in normal use, or an HDEO if you work it hard.

Im not sure if it has a oil cooler or not. But it wont be worked to hard just mostly driving it when it snows and to haul small things at the most tow a car once a year or so.

Are we talking about the L03 305 that had Crossfire and then eventually recived some sort of MPFI/TPI injection? And if so, isnt this the same recommendation for a 350SBC?

5W-30 or 10W-40 are favorites for this engine. Could even do 0W-30 or 0W-40 if you want, though im not sure why someone would take it up to a 40.

Nice ride.

No, it doesn't have an oil cooler and I'd use whatever 5w30 I could find on sale. They are pretty stout motors.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
No, it doesn't have an oil cooler and I'd use whatever 5w30 I could find on sale. They are pretty stout motors.

The oil cooler was a factory option on those trucks. It used the oil filter base like the Police Cars.

Any SN/GF5 5W30 or 10W30 would be fine. Ive seen any number of those 305 and 350 engines with 300,000 - 500,000 miles on them with conventional oil changed every 3,000 - 6,000 miles depending on conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The oil cooler was a factory option on those trucks. It used the oil filter base like the Police Cars.

Any SN/GF5 5W30 or 10W30 would be fine. Ive seen any number of those 305 and 350 engines with 300,000 - 500,000 miles on them with conventional oil changed every 3,000 - 6,000 miles depending on conditions.

Must have been a rare option, I've never seen one! LOL!

It has some lifter tick. I belive it has been setting for a little while. Is there anything I could do for that or just change the oil and hope it quiets down.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
It has some lifter tick. I belive it has been setting for a little while. Is there anything I could do for that or just change the oil and hope it quiets down.

If you are feeling exotic put a 0W-30 in her. I have come to the conclusion that a 0W will ALWAYS be better than a 5W and 10W, and i dont see the L03 305 "Crossfire" OR 350SBC/396/427 etc etc... as any exception.
smile.gif

10W30 will work
5W-30 will work
0W-30 will work
10W-40 will work, some people like that
5W-40 isnt really needed, it will work too
0W-40 isnt needed either, but it will work too

You could use on sale ST 5W-30 to mailed to your door RL 0W-30 and if it was me id decide how im driving it and how good i wanted my oil to be and use that.

Originally Posted By: JT1
I'd use a hdeo for piece of mind in protecting that flat tappet cam.

He could, but I wouldn't sweat it. I've run many of those engines for millions of miles in fleet use. They ate cams. That was in the SE, SF, and SG days. It just didn't matter. I'd run a 5w-30 or 10w-30 conventional in it and be done with it. If a 10w-30 HDEO can be had at a reasonable price, that would work well, too.

I had an 1984 Impala w/305; I can't tell you what I put in it or how often I changed it, but I sold it @ 218K for $200 and saw it still driving around years later.

Any 30weight with current approvals.....

I have had success getting rid of lifter tick in the SB Chevy with MMO if the cause of the tick was being gunked up inside. Does not hurt anything to try it. I am just not comfortable with using too much MMO and only the factory weight oil. If I put a decent size bottle of MMO into the crankcase I usually substitute one quart of heavier oil in with the oil change to even things out. Makes me feel better about it at least. Not sure if it really makes that much of a difference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back