Oil for 82 plymouth fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have your attention, I need help choosing oil. I know that the oil companies have largely stopped putting things like zinc and moly in their dino oils. I have an '82 plymouth fury with a HD 318 v8. This engine has a flat tappet cam, which needs those anti-scuff additives. What is a "safe" brand dino oil to use in this engine? Do te "high mileage" oils still have zinc/moly? How about the SAE 30W oils?

Thanks in advance

Lothar has spoken

[ February 28, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Dan4510 ]

HEY!!! Where's my beer?!?!?!?!
tongue.gif

welcome.gif
You can go into the 'virgin oil analysis' section of this site to see which oils have certain addatives. In fact, moly and zinc are quite common in many dino oils, even some of the lower cost oils. I personally like Havoline, as long as 'Chevron/Texaco' is printed on the back label. This is very good oil for the money. Castrol GTX and Pennzoil are also very good.

I live in south Florida. I'm most concerned with the oil having those anti-scuff additives as I regularly beat on this engine. I've been using Penz HM 10W 30.
Whats different about the long-life stuff?

You didn't say what kind of climate you live in, but if it's generally above freezing......

Pennzoil Long Life 15W-40 would be good.

Castrol or Pennzoil HM oils would also work.

Quaker State Hi-Horsepower Synthetic Blend looks like it might be good.

You should be able to find the 15-40 Pennzoil at Wal-Mart easy enough.

quote:

Originally posted by LotharKingoftheHillPeople:
This engine has a flat tappet cam, which needs those anti-scuff additives.

Just curious. What is a flat tappet. I am guessing it refers specifically to solid lifters.

LotharKing,etc. - The Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth 318 V8 engine powered many models of cars, vans & pickup trucks. It was the standard small V8.

I don't recall this engine having any special lubrication requirements & most owners ran commonly available Group 1 solvent dewaxed 10W-30 oils.

Any of the Hi-Mileage formulations are a better quality oil than what was available in 1982 & should work very well in this engine.

quote:

as I regularly beat on this engine

Why? Treat that engine with respect. It lasted 20+ years without you around & now it's your job to run it into the ground? Think about it.

As rugerman1 has posted the link to the Pennzoil LL, notice the primary anti-wear add zddp at approx. 0.12%, quite sufficient.

Notice also the three secondary adds:
Calcium +3000 ppm
Boron 91 ppm (most likely 100 ppm)
Moly most likely 150 ppm (this type of moly also serves as a secondary friction modifier).

I would say that for the price, this oil, and any other oil with a similar add pack should be able to provide sufficient protection for your 318.

Flat-tappet means it's not a roller cam. The lifters are hydraulic with a flat (nearly) surface facing the cam.
quote:

quote: as I regularly beat on this engine

Why? Treat that engine with respect. It lasted 20+ years without you around & now it's your job to run it into the ground? Think about it.

Because the engine is evil and it must be punished.

I haven't seen any virgin oil analysis reports on the Penzoil Long Life stuff. Anyone know what the additive package is?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. So I guess then that Penzoil Long Lofe is the way to go. Do they make it in 10W 30? Also where is it available and how expensive is it?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back