Oil for 8.3 chevy -heavy loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBM

I believe it is an 8.3 liter motor, its 8. something anyways.

Its a 2001 with only 17k miles, although it is used everyday, it doesnt get alot of miles on it.

When it is used though, it usually has a pretty heavy load on it, so i am looking for an oil that can go 5 months without an oil change, if thats even a good idea, plus an oil that will protect the motor in heavy, dusty, hot conditions-florida.

Your favorite 5w-30 dino changed per the oil life monitor.
smile.gif

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by JBM:
I believe it is an 8.3 liter motor, its 8. something anyways.

Its a 2001 with only 17k miles, although it is used everyday, it doesnt get alot of miles on it.

When it is used though, it usually has a pretty heavy load on it, so i am looking for an oil that can go 5 months without an oil change, if thats even a good idea, plus an oil that will protect the motor in heavy, dusty, hot conditions-florida.

Hey JBM....I have two buddys running Chevy 502's....both high mileage and in excellent shape...both pull dragsters/Dirt Track cars on trailer all the time in the Texas heat.....one runs nothing but 10-30 Castrol Dino...and the other runs nothing but Chevron Delo
10-30 Dino.....

JBM, if it were mine, I would run M1 5-40 and Bosch Premium filter ucombo unitl the OLM lights up. Great oil change for $33-35.

If using strict 5 month OCI, Wal-Mart SuperTech 10-30 Syn and AC Delco filter. That's in the $18 range.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Your favorite 5w-30 dino changed per the oil life monitor.
smile.gif

Michael

To add to that: Trop Artic Blend, Pennzoil, Chevron, or Havoline 5w-/10w-30 are all good choices. Follow the Oil Life Monitor which will adjust the service interval accordingly based upon the driving conditions.

I highly doubt that a synthetic will provide greater wear protection over a conventional if either oil is used properly. The synthetic may provide an advantage if you used in extended drains, but short drains with dino are better IMO so you would limit any damage that may occur to the engine if a mechanical problem arises. (coolant leak, injector leak, intake leak, etc)

If you'd like to be safe (which I suggest), I'd change the oil every 3000-4000 miles or 6 months, regardless of what the Oil Life Monitor says, unless of course the Oil Life Monitor calls for an oil change sooner than that.

The AC Delco filter is a good choice, but the Advanced Auto Total Grip, Purolator Premium Plus, or Supertech are all less expensive and are good choices as well for short drains.

Michael

Hey given your application and change outs Schaeffers 15w-40 7000 would exceed your demands on this,,,,,,,,,check with site sonsor on how to obtain a case,,,,BL

JBM...I forgot to add the fact that with a 6 month oil change under your stated hot,dusty and fully loaded conditions you should remember to keep an eye on your air filtration. I run some some pretty dusty roads here in the central Texas "desert" and my 6.0 needed a filter change at 4000 miles.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back