Oil for 8.1 Vortec in 12 ton Motorhome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 24,000 lb motorhome towing 5,000 lbs. Currently running the Castrol 0W-30 and have had good results with this oil. This oil can be hard to find, especially on the road. Looking for a gasoline motor oil that is in the upper range of the 30W scale at 100 degrees C that is also more readily available. This engine sees high RPM going up and down hills since engine braking is required to keep things under control without using the service brakes. Was looking at the Penzoil Platinum Euro formulas but in reading they don't seem to be recommended in a gasoline motor on BITOG. Don't really want to go to a High Mileage oil at this point either.

Suggestions?

I would bump it up to the Castrol 0w40, very easy to find and very very similar to the 0w30 and available in 5qt jugs.

The 8.1 isn't a picky motor at all and is old tech. Any decent 5W30 will do the job. What are your OCI's? Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 would be my choice.

And cheap in the USA +1

Originally Posted By: seanf
I would bump it up to the Castrol 0w40, very easy to find and very very similar to the 0w30 and available in 5qt jugs.

Considering the oil is hard to fine would it be possible to think ahead and carry as much oil as you would project you would need?

T6 5w-40

Available at auto parts stores, Walmart, Tractor Supply, and truck stops. You can't beat that for availability.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Considering the oil is hard to fine would it be possible to think ahead and carry as much oil as you would project you would need?

Don't really want to carry more than a couple of quarts as coach carrying capacity includes fuel, water, waste tank and such. As a result, I am very conscious of carrying too much extra if not required and can be bought local to where we are at any particular time.

Can Rotella be used in a gasoline motor? Seems that some of what I have read here indicates that is a no-no. I will look into the T6 and the Castrol 0W-40. Mobil-1 0W-40 might also be an other option.

Originally Posted By: vettenuts
Can Rotella be used in a gasoline motor? Seems that some of what I have read here indicates that is a no-no. I will look into the T6 and the Castrol 0W-40. Mobil-1 0W-40 might also be an other option.

It's rated SM all day long, so as long as you don't need SN you'd be good to go.

Like others had mentioned, I'd look at Rotella. Either T5 or T6. Both of those are readily available at every truck stop I've been to.

10W30 Rotella T5, available in quarts or jugs at any Wal-Mart. The new CK-4 spec oil is coming out, it will be rated SN if running the older CJ-4/SM is an issue.

Previous UOA of T6 in an 8.1L, my Suburban.

Above is my UOA from a couple of years ago. Since then I've tried Amsoil 0W-30 and am now running Amsoil 5W-30. Hoping to just do one oil change per year. I have not done a UOA on the Amsoil yet. I was hoping to find something to quiet down the start up tick, but nothing seems to make much difference. I'll probably do a UOA next year. I think the Rotella T6 5W-40 was a good choice depending on how long you want to run the oil.

Shell Rotella is 99.9% fine in a gasoline engine since it is gasoline rated , it's the go-to oil for most American muscle cars, it works very well in big lazy V8s such as your 8100 Vortec

Right now the way we are using the motorhome, it gets changed annually and not due to mileage. However, we plan to hit the road for months at a time in the future so then it will be changed by mileage. Not really looking for extended oil changes, rather a good oil that is readily available so when we hit the road I won't have an issue finding it. The engine does use some oil, especially if we spend a day climbing up and down grades. All higher RPM and half with the engine braking rather than pulling. Engine is very very quiet and starts right up. Runs great and its amazing it can move this behemoth down the road and up and down the hills. Allison transmission is a sweet addition.

I'm guessing you get about 4mpg with a gasoline engine pulling 15 tons. Once the engine goes, swap in a Duramax. In the meantime, run 10w40 M1 HM.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'm guessing you get about 4mpg with a gasoline engine pulling 15 tons. Once the engine goes, swap in a Duramax. In the meantime, run 10w40 M1 HM.

No, actually between 7 to 8 mpg, most of the time closer to 7. Depends on the terrain we are driving. Much easier to swallow now at $2/gallon then before at nearly $4/gallon.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back