Oil For 5L HO Ford

Hello, I just bought a 1993 Boat with this engine. The oil spec is for straight 30 oil, but since this spec is from 1993, I'm wondering if a multigrade like 10W30 might be a better oil for when the engine is cold.

My thinking is that today's multigrades are much better than 28 years ago when the engine was built, and a little thinner oil at startup can't hurt. Your thoughts.

Define "cold" Assuming recreational use and will not be challenging the witch of november, 30 weight should be sufficient for any times you would "want" to be on the water.

Think of the shear stability!

Sure you can go to Walmart and pick up rotella t1 or super tech sae 30 but they are usually more expensive than a better 15W40 and inferior. It's just an old pushrod v8.

Define "cold" Assuming recreational use and will not be challenging the witch of november, 30 weight should be sufficient for any times you would "want" to be on the water.

Think of the shear stability!
I'm in Michigan, so "cold" is probably 70 and above. And I suppose what I really meant by "cold" is when the engine is at ambient.

Is this an inboard or stern drive? Is it an OMC Cobra? You might notice reduced oil pressure at hot idle with a multi-viscosity oil, Mercruiser 25W40 being the exception.

This quote is from Evinrude in Australia (BRP) in 2016:

OMC Cobra's must use straight 30W oils. You cannot use multi-viscosity oil. The additives that are put in multi-viscosity oils cause the oil to break down too fast. This will cause the oil to lose its lubricity characteristics. Remember, a stern drive engine application is much different than a car or truck - the stern drive engine normally sustains a higher running rpm for a longer period of time than a car or truck ( most cars or trucks cruise 2500 rpm's or less, where a stern drive will run 4000 rpm or more ). Using a synthetic oil is acceptable if a straight 30W cannot be found.

Were it mine I would seek out straight 30 and stock up along with filters. If it's nowhere to be found then Mercruiser 25W40 would be 2nd choice.

No way 10/30. Mutil viscosity oils do not work out many times in marine engines, the stresses on a marine engine are MANY times that of a vehicle with wheels.

If you go multi as another mentioned a 15/40 maybe ok.
Mercs 25/40 is an option as also mentioned as well as plain straight 30 which is most likely what you should stick with but any of these 3 are fine.

No way 10/30. Mutil viscosity oils do not work out many times in marine engines, the stresses on a marine engine are MANY times that of a vehicle with wheels.

If you go multi as another mentioned a 15/40 maybe ok.
Mercs 25/40 is an option as also mentioned as well as plain straight 30 which is most likely what you should stick with but any of these 3 are fine.
Pretty sure tracking the Nurburgring is equally, if not more demanding. Our old Mercruiser 888 (5.0L Ford) was on 5w-30 for most of its life and had well over 2,000hrs on it. The engine outlived the boat.

We also ran M1 5w-30 in our built Y-block which spun pretty high (~6K) and made ~425HP.

The distance between a truck hauling a camper through the rockies and an inboard running wide-open isn't much....

And this is all supported by current marine engine manuals, like this one from Ilmor, who produces the engines used by Mastercraft:
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 2.04.37 AM.jpg

And this is all supported by current marine engine manuals, like this one from Ilmor, who produces the engines used by Mastercraft:

Keyword "current". Other than the 7.4l none of those engines existed in 1993. Also comparing current oil recommendations for GM engines has no relevance to a 28 year old Ford engine in my eyes. Ilmor did not produce marine engines until 2002.

Having said that, your testament to the MC 888 5.0 using 5W30 certainly holds merit. 2,000 hours is nothing to sneeze at.

My 80's era Sea Ray Pachanga with a 350 Olds & Berkely squirter ran Castrol 20W50 exclusively but that was in Texas summers.

Keyword "current". Other than the 7.4l none of those engines existed in 1993. Also comparing current oil recommendations for GM engines has no relevance to a 28 year old Ford engine in my eyes. Ilmor did not produce marine engines until 2002.

Having said that, your testament to the MC 888 5.0 using 5W30 certainly holds merit. 2,000 hours is nothing to sneeze at.

My 80's era Sea Ray Pachanga with a 350 Olds & Berkely squirter ran Castrol 20W50 exclusively but that was in Texas summers.
True, the LSx engines are a more recent arrival, but the point was that the visc recommendation for some of them doesn't vary from their automotive applications.

The 7.4L is probably the most interesting example, spec'ing 15w-50, which is a reasonably broad-spread multi-grade, but obviously synthetic with higher levels of AW additives.

HDEO approvals have a pretty good corollary with marine use. The shear resistance test, and usage profile of these engines aligns quite well, so it's not surprising to see the 6.0L LS-family engine spec a 15w-40 in the above table, and if 15w-40 is appropriate, I'd have no problem using a 5w-40 (which I do in fact use) because it has to pass all the same tests and carry the same approvals.

The historic use of cheap VII polymers in PCMO's (that wouldn't pass the HDEO testing protocols) is the reason those oils have historically been advised against/avoided in marine use. This has only recently (relatively speaking) been changing as OEM approvals have raised the bar. Of course Euro lubes have similar requirements for shear resistance as HDEO's, but it's not practical for OEM's to spec Euro lubes. This is why we the shift was from mono or nearly mono grades to HDEO's for the same family of engines in more recent owner's manuals.

Now, this is from the PCM 2016 manual:
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 10.09.58 AM.jpg

So it seems clear that the manufacturer still does not trust the adequacy of conventional multi-grades at higher temperatures, so again our HDEO is spec'd. We also see specific mention of a synthetic 5w-30 for two specific engines, similar to Ilmor. It would seem the confidence in synthetic 5w-30's is significantly higher (amusingly, that's the same oil we ran in our old Y-block).

Indmar seems to have the broadest selection of older manuals:

From their 2001 version, they only recommend a 15w-40:
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 10.15.54 AM.jpg

And note that the lineup of engines is primarily old school SBC's, so of similar vintage to the Ford we are currently discussing.

1993 and older appears to be the crossover for their manuals where they spec'd SAE 30. From 1994 to 2002, that changed to 15w-40 across the board.

So, to expand on my earlier recommendation, I'd have no qualms about running a 5w-40 or 15w-40 in the OP's engine or even a synthetic 10w-30 HDEO.

So many good ideas here. I briefly considered a synthetic, but I've gone with straight 30 conventional for now. But next oil change may well find me taking up a good synthetic. If oil temperature is a concern that should help with that problem.

Seems like the only 15W-40 I've seen is a Diesel oil. If that be true, is that what's being discussed here? And I do use it in my motorcycle.

RTexasF asked: yes, it is an OMC stern drive, 5.0L Cobra.

So many good ideas here. I briefly considered a synthetic, but I've gone with straight 30 conventional for now. But next oil change may well find me taking up a good synthetic. If oil temperature is a concern that should help with that problem.

Seems like the only 15W-40 I've seen is a Diesel oil. If that be true, is that what's being discussed here? And I do use it in my motorcycle.

Yes, HDEO's are typically used in diesels, but are also a great fit for demanding usage profiles in gas engines, that's why they make an appearance in owner's manuals. 15w-40 is the most common HDEO grade I'd imagine.

If it's an SX Cobra Volvo built it for OMC. That might open up more accessibility to parts if ever needed. Unlike OMC's first I/O disaster the Cobra was a good unit.

If it's an SX Cobra Volvo built it for OMC. That might open up more accessibility to parts if ever needed. Unlike OMC's first I/O disaster the Cobra was a good unit.
RTexasF - good to know. I appreciate all of the replies from everyone to my topic.

Hello, I just bought a 1993 Boat with this engine. The oil spec is for straight 30 oil, but since this spec is from 1993, I'm wondering if a multigrade like 10W30 might be a better oil for when the engine is cold.

My thinking is that today's multigrades are much better than 28 years ago when the engine was built, and a little thinner oil at startup can't hurt. Your thoughts.
A 5w-40 diesel oil is what I would use.
Enough Zddp for that older 5.0. Delvac, Rotella, ect. Readily available, and reasonably priced. Is that 5.0 a Ford engine?? Ford in 1989, or there abouts, changed the engines in Mustangs to roller lifters. Perhaps you have one of those blocks in a marine application just running backwards? If it is a Ford, I assume the firing order is 180 out as most Ford marine engines were.

Back