oil for 350 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
use 15w-40 in the warmer months, 10w30 in the colder months... I had to do a -15F start w/ Rotella 15w40 in my '88 K2500.. it survived it, but I wouldn't do it again... I dropped it and put in 10w30 that afternoon. I run 10w-30 GTX in my truck, but I recently installed a Melling HV/HP pump in it and regularly see 70 PSI on my mechanical gauge, so I don't see the need to run 15w40 anymore.

WIX, NAPA Gold, Carquest Blue are all the same and are great filters, I use WIX exclusively in my truck.

HTH,
Bret

Most bang for your buck....

Mobil Delvac 1300 or Chevron Delo 400 in 10W-30.

You will likely have to go to the local distributor (The guy that delivers the lubes to the Service Stations and Trucking Companies) to get the 10/30.

I prefer the Mobil for the more robust additive package but some prefer the Chevron for the better base.

If you want to move up a little in price or you can get a gallon of Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (Group III) at most WalMart stores. Might try Costco as well since I understand they are more common on the west cost. About double the price though.

That said I know a Union Electrician who put 500,000 ml on a 1988 Chevy 350 TBI on regular Mobil 1 10W-30 Synthetic. Triple the price though.

For just a couple dollars more than Mobile 1 you can get Mobil Delvac 1 aka Mobil 1 Truck and SUV in 5W-40.

Gene

I haven't owned a smallblock in over 20 years, so I'd defer to the real experts, but I think you're on the right track. I'd also strongly consider continuing what's gotten you to almost 200k miles with this engine -- you must have been doing something right all along.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the filter. I'm beginning to think, from what I've seen here, and experience, that having something, anything, screwed onto the filter flange is about all you need to do. Why? I ran my dearly beloved departed 1988 Civic for 10 years and 150k miles on Mobil-1 and --gulp-- Fram oil filters (
pat.gif
I just didn't know. . .). But the car was flawless even at age 10 (spotless engine, undiminished performance). More recently, I've just got great UOA results on my wife's V-8 Sequoia using the Mobil-1 filter that many believe to be too flow-restricting. It may be, but not enough that it caused any problems for me in this car. Pick one, if it runs well for you, use it.

Happy motoring, and BTW,
welcome.gif

Thanks for the responses. A bit of information I neglected to mention is that the motor does leak a bit and there is some smoke when I first start it, because of this I'm a little hesitant to use the synthetics, Rotella T or Delvac 1. I usually have to put in between 1 and 2 quarts between oil changes.

Looks like I need to find the local distributors for these brands and see if I can find the 10w-30.

At that mileage, it doesn't matter what you use. Use the cheapest stuff you can get.

5.7L v8 is my fav. engine... I have one with 100K on it, and it runs wonderfully. The last one was getting noisy at 150K miles. (or maybe it was just timing).

I've run synthetic 10W30 in all my 350 Burbs and they have gone far beyond 280,000 miles without touching the engines.

Used either Amsoil ATM 10W30 or Mobil 1 10W30, whichever was available and or cheaper at the time.

Hello, after about a month of lurking I decided it is time to join in and ask a question.

I have a 92 GMC 4x4 pickup with a 350 V8. It has about 180,000 miles on it and I am doing an autorx treatment right now . I have found the people on this forum to be very helpful and I am just wanting to get opinions on what I am thinking of using for oil and filter for this motor.

After reading many posts on this forum I am now thinking of using an HDEO like Delo or Pennzoil Long Life, or maybe Rotella in 10w-30, if I can find it. I'm a little hesitant to use the 15w-40, even though it's much easier to find, because GM recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 for this engine. I live in the foothills of Mt Hood in Oregon so occasionally we will have temperatures in the teens during the winter.

I am also thinking of using either a NAPA Gold or a Purolator Performance Plus oil filter.
For a high mileage truck does all of this make good sense?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back