Oil for 3 Months Drain Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll need to keep changing oil in my car every 3 months, just wanna know what will be the best option for me. I'm thinking of getting some good syn. / blend in the beginning of every year while using some cheapo dino oil in the other times. Is it a good idea or I should just feed the engine on straight dino oil diet?

PS: The engine is a Ford 3.9 litre inline 6 and factory spec ask for 40 / 50 weight multigrade oil.

Change you oil every 3 months? No brainer. Go cheap, cheap, cheap, as in get the cheapest name brand SL rated (or Aussie standard) oil you can find. Here in the U.S., that might equate to a Havoline, Quaker State, Shell or similar oil for 69 cents after rebate. All of these oils can breeze through 3 month intervals without breaking a sweat -- they're formulated for anticipated contamination and deterioration over a 7,500 mile drive.

[ December 03, 2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Depends on where you live, but I use 15W-40 in the winter, and a 20W-60 in the summer.

You could use 15W-40 all year, depends on the mileage of the engine. Don't use synthetics, waste of money for your application. Shell, Mobil,Castrol all are good oils.

You could use a 15W-40 dual rated diesel engine oil for a bit of a clean-up, but I don't know the comparative prices.

Dave

cool.gif
That's what I do in the old van I bought last year. Mileage fluctuates depending on how busy I am and what work I have to do, so it tends to either sit a lot OR get driven a lot. I like to use 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer. Right now it has Valvoline Max Life 10w-30 and it seems to run nice on it and doesn't smoke at start-up like it did with 5w. Got Havoline 5w on sale this week.
smile.gif

Nah, I usally get the oil changed approx 7500km - 10000km. But the stupid extend warranty stuff on my new 2nd hand car requires me to get the car serviced every 3 months. Sounds like I should stay with the dino oil with this application, the engine is now only 70000km after rebuild, so just want to keep it as good as it is.

I would go with 10-40 Chevron Supreme. Its $1.08 at walmart.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 6000 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82200 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back