Oil for 2022 Kia Stinger 3.3TT

Looking for some feedback on my current oil selection for my ‘22 Stinger GT2. It has the GDI 3.3L, twin turbo V-6 with AWD. It currently has 8,531 miles after owning it for about 10 months. I’m in Ohio and I do about 60/40 highway/city. I do run an oil catch can fwiw.

I’ve changed the oil twice so far; first at 2,825 miles with M1 5w-30 & again at 6,591 miles with M1 HM 5w-30. Wix filters both times. No oil analysis done but I’m not noticing any issues with the used oil or vehicle to prompt this post. Just wondering aloud.

M1 seems to meet the manufacturer specs but am I doing harm using a high mileage? Can I go with another brand to meet the same or better specs but at a lower price point? Any other thoughts?
TIA.
DD7B0795-FB83-40E3-B4DD-A37FE1461E4B.jpeg
3BC9FF25-90E9-429F-8517-24CB50E4FB58.jpeg
EC2830E5-AB43-43EC-9C27-B32165C3206B.jpeg

We're currently running Castrol Edge EP 5W30 in ours. No issues at all.
I have a bunch of PP 10W30 GTL that we'll be running for the season starting with the next change.

Hyundai/Kia oil recommendations are pretty random. Go with any API SP & GM dexos1 5W-30 full-synthetic oil, and you will be fine. You don't need the "exceeds ACEA A5/B5" claim on the back of the bottle, as they all do, but none are actually certified for it because they are marketed to be sold in the US.

Appreciate all the feedback. I’ll compare product sheets of all the recommended oils. The Castrol Edge EP 5w-30 looks like a really good front runner from what I’m seeing on their product sheet.

Appreciate all the feedback. I’ll compare product sheets of all the recommended oils. The Castrol Edge EP 5w-30 looks like a really good front runner from what I’m seeing on their product sheet.
We love it in our GT2. My wife is typically not a gentle driver either.

Don't see why a Dexos1 g2 or 3 won't work for the Stinger?

All A5 oils here are only API SL rated and full SAPS. Probably wait for A7

There are many 5w30s out there that are cheaper. Mobil 1 is overhyped, IMO. Try QS, Penn, or Valvoline.

Don't see why a Dexos1 g2 or 3 won't work for the Stinger?

All A5 oils here are only API SL rated and full SAPS. Probably wait for A7
You are probably thinking of Edge 5W30 A3/B4 which has about 1000 ppm ZDDP, above the ILSAC limit, so it's "only" SL due to the chemical restrictions applied to 5W30 grades (and thinner). It could possibly pass the performance requirements of high API grades, Castrol use to confirm that in a previous spec sheet.

Also any A5/B5 5W30 oil, that carries Ford 913-D also carries higher levels of ZDDP which pushes it above the ILSAC chemical limits, eg Valvoline SynPower FE 5W30 which is A5/B5 and Ford 913-D, but "only" SL.

I don't consider either oil to be bad, rather ILSAC & API to be more restrictive than Euro ACEA in giving the manufacturers a bit of elbow room in their formulation.

Last edited:
You are probably thinking of Edge 5W30 A3/B4 which has about 1000 ppm ZDDP, above the ILSAC limit, so it's "only" SL due to the chemical restrictions applied to 5W30 grades (and thinner). It could possibly pass the performance requirements of high API grades, Castrol use to confirm that in a previous spec sheet.

Also any A5/B5 5W30 oil, that carries Ford 913-D also carries higher levels of ZDDP which pushes it above the ILSAC chemical limits, eg Valvoline SynPower FE 5W30 which is A5/B5 and Ford 913-D, but "only" SL.

I don't consider either oil to be bad, rather ILSAC & API to be more restrictive than Euro ACEA in giving the manufacturers a bit of elbow room in their formulation.
Yeah they're good oils. However, I'm unable to find a oil that is A5 and also API SP.
The A5 oils you listed all have high calcium detergency which causes LSPI.

Yeah they're good oils. However, I'm unable to find a oil that is A5 and also API SP.
The A5 oils you listed all have high calcium detergency which causes LSPI.
Yeah I agree, it's hard to find Euro ACEA specs with API SP, and I too would go with your original advice of a Dexos1-Gen2 oil that's API SP.

Yeah I agree, it's hard to find Euro ACEA specs with API SP, and I too would go with your original advice of a Dexos1-Gen2 oil that's API SP.
Cannot blame the availability, as your average Joe grabs a bottle of 15w40 for use in their late model Corolla's.

Mobil 1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40, Valvoline 5w-40.

You have a new car, I'm sure you can afford a good quality oil.

Back