Oil for 2019 Duramax 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove the manual and the auto...bought the Auto, over the manual.
Manual had 10% less torque than the auto, and with 6 speeds felt like you were rowing it at times...happy with the auto, and happy with 30MPG (Oz MPG) that I've getting.

My case, the OLM would have pulled up around town only at 4,000 miles, but my commute and highway will go to 9,500-10,000

The diesel has some vary strict emissions standards to pass, so you will find that the regular HDEO aren't even on the list of oils to use. You will see that the DEXOS 2 certification usually shares with European specs, Mecedes Benz, and BMW for there diesels. Would a T6 ruin the emission system? It may.

Originally Posted by NH73
The diesel has some vary strict emissions standards to pass, so you will find that the regular HDEO aren't even on the list of oils to use. You will see that the DEXOS 2 certification usually shares with European specs, Mecedes Benz, and BMW for there diesels. Would a T6 ruin the emission system? It may.

I always wondered about T6 in my Cruze Diesel.

Chrysler changed the Ecodiesel Ram to 5w-40 Rotella after suffering engine issues with 5W-30 Pennzoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HondaTech250
NH73 said:
Chrysler changed the Ecodiesel Ram to 5w-40 Rotella after suffering engine issues with 5W-30 Pennzoil.
I think I have heard that. I wonder why they didn't say to use 5w40 Euro oil instead? Half ton trucks are in that same category as your Cruze would. I just always assumed that our HDEO would have too much ZDDP in it. I wonder why they can't consider a CF-4 oil or even a FA-4 oil? The requirement for emissions are up there for these trucks too. Is these euro oils cooler to use, then our HDEOs?

I figure the DPF is large enough to not worry about on the truck and would become an issue on the smaller Cruze.

The SaPS level is the only reason I believe they spec these oils for today's diesels.

That truck is....... delicious. Most fetching version I have seen so far.

Warranty sucks a little for the tinkerers and DIYers, but just play the game for now. If something comes out of the woodwork, you'll be glad you did.

All my warranty stuff gets warranty approved fluids and filters.

Ram Eco did have issues with the P 5w-30, and did switch to RT6, but I'm thinking that the chosen replacement of RT6 was due to a desire to Overkill the situation as much as possible while staying within the SOPUS contract.

This truck vents pcv into the hot side intercooler pipe. When I ran 5/M1 ESP, I didn't notice any issues. Since using Delvac ESP, I've noticed oil seepage from the intercooler pipe. Does the Delvac create more oil vapor than the M1? No clue. Could just be the accumulation of oil over time finally coming out.

Also, best mpg has been 36 on a 400 mile trip. Average is 26 with a lead foot, city driving.

Originally Posted by bshort
This truck vents pcv into the hot side intercooler pipe. When I ran 5/M1 ESP, I didn't notice any issues. Since using Delvac ESP, I've noticed oil seepage from the intercooler pipe. Does the Delvac create more oil vapor than the M1? No clue. Could just be the accumulation of oil over time finally coming out.

Also, best mpg has been 36 on a 400 mile trip. Average is 26 with a lead foot, city driving.

That's about what I've been seeing. Up to 34 mpg on the highway. Anywhere from 22-25 mpg in town. I have a 2016 RWD Colorado with the 2.8L Diesel.

I am real interested in what Ford is going to come up with, for competition in the new Ranger. I have heard everything from a 2.0L turbo diesel to the current 3.2L diesel used in the Ford Transit. When that happens, it's "game on" boys! I don't know what Toyota is waiting on. Surely, they can offer one for the Tacoma.

Originally Posted by Best F100

That's about what I've been seeing. Up to 34 mpg on the highway. Anywhere from 22-25 mpg in town. I have a 2016 RWD Colorado with the 2.8L Diesel.

I am real interested in what Ford is going to come up with, for competition in the new Ranger. I have heard everything from a 2.0L turbo diesel to the current 3.2L diesel used in the Ford Transit. When that happens, it's "game on" boys! I don't know what Toyota is waiting on. Surely, they can offer one for the Tacoma.

I really don't think the Colorado diesel is all that popular. Especially not popular enough for Ford and Toyota to introduce one here.

Nice truck, Enjoy isuzu makes great engines. Change it every 5k or 50% oil life, thats atleast what I do is it needed definitely no but its 38$ oil change people pay more to change oil on their Camry at lube shop. Not sure if you have had diesel before but I have couple pointers.
Dont install Aftermarket remote start it will interfere with Def heater system (Yes i know from experience, The dealer sells a factory one if yours didnt come with it), Also get diesel only from truck stops (less chance of water or bad diesel), Dont buy store DEF, buy it from pump at truck stop - Figure out capacity of tank on colorado for the def...I know 6.6 has 5 gallon tank. Let it run down to like 10-15% and only put in like 1-2 gallons each fill (Once the truck def tank gets low it will show you % full on cluster DIC). You want it to stay as fresh as possible DEF has shelf life and in vehicle its exposed to extreme high and low temps.

Last edited:

I really don't think the Colorado diesel is all that popular. Especially not popular enough for Ford and Toyota to introduce one here.

I really was excited about inital Announcement of Colorado diesel, Then I saw price tag im like they are out of their fin mind for mid size truck, there is no way im spending that kind of money on small truck...Not to knock you guys but thats just insane. I can buy Highly trimed LT maybe even LTZ 1500 for that kind of money. [censored] you can almost buy 2500 6.6 for colorado money its not far off. Thats where they went wrong if pricing would have been little more reasonable they would have sold the crap out of them. Price vs 1500 vs cost/ towing capacity on colorado just isnt there. Max tow package 1500 can tow more then colorado for less money.
lol.gif

Last edited:

You need to run catch can on PCV system to prevent that. Its Crankcase Vapors going back into intake for re circulation burn. I would recommend catch can instead of PCV reroute cause there is possibility of Insects crawling in when vented to outside air. I run catch can myself you just drain it every once in while.

Originally Posted by Shata

I really was excited about inital Announcement of Colorado diesel, Then I saw price tag im like they are out of their fin mind for mid size truck, there is no way im spending that kind of money on small truck...Not to knock you guys but thats just insane. I can buy Highly trimed LT maybe even LTZ 1500 for that kind of money. [censored] you can almost buy 2500 6.6 for colorado money its not far off. Thats where they went wrong if pricing would have been little more reasonable they would have sold the crap out of them. Price vs 1500 vs cost/ towing capacity on colorado just isnt there. Max tow package 1500 can tow more then colorado for less money.
lol.gif

That's not true. At all. When I bought my 2107 GMC Canyon All Terrain X 2.8 Duramax the equivalent 2500 6.6 Duramax ATX was 29k more $$$ than the Canyon. They both had the same deal which was 10% off MSRP. It was almost 2x as expensive for the 2500 version. "It's not far off" dubyateeeff???

I guess your comparing a Denali 2.8 Duramax to a stripped W/T version of a 2500. I'm gonna say you're full of sheeeiiittt on this comment.

Interesting...

2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali HD
4WD, Crew-Cab, SRW, Long-Box Diesel
Block Heater Included
No Other Options
$68,990.00

2019 GMC Canyon Denali
4WD, Crew-Cab, Long-Box Diesel
Block Heater added
No Other Options
$46,875.00

Difference in price: $22,115.00

The Canyon is within the reach of most middle-class drivers; the similarly equipped 3500 Denali diesel is not.

SIGNIFICANT!

BTW, if one is towing 6000 lbs or less, I would go with the Canyon or the Colorado. If you tow a single lb more than that, go with with a larger truck -- gas or diesel.

Last edited:
Did a good bit of research on the "Dexos 2" the biggest difference was the SN Category assigned to Dexos2, Rotella T6 5w-40 does not carry that category. But Rotella 5w-30 Multi-Vehicle does, it is not found in any parts stores in my area so I will have to order it online. Currently I run the AcDelco Dexos2 from the dealership just to stay in warranty.

The API SN category is an improvement over the API SM category in the following areas:

High temperature deposit protection for pistons
Better sludge control
Better seal compatibility
Aftertreatment compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back