Oil for 2018 Civic 1.5 Turbo-any SN+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading a bit about the fuel dilution that some people are talking about. Going to probably do my 1st change in a couple of weeks as I'll be near 2k by then probably.

Any particular 0W20 off the shelf from Wally? I see that some are now labeled formulated for turbo engines (Pennz Plat).

Or is the Valvoline Modern Engine worth the premium in price?

I was leaning to Pennz Plat or perhaps the Valvoline Full Synthetic

Thoughts?

Any SN Plus will work just fine. As will the more stout, dexos1Gen2. Many lean towards PP for its GTL base, or M1 AFE for large percentage of PAO. But any major brand would suffice. VME is enticing considering the $15 rebate.

Others will make a case for 5W30 or even 0W40.

Enjoy your ride
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Any of those oils will run fine. On the VME, there is a rebate going that is in the deals section here. $15 back so the price is enticing enough that I picked up a jug. VAS has a $10 rebate.

In reality any major brand of oil will serve you well.

Last edited:
Here is that link for the Valvoline rebate.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4831306/Valvoline_Rebate_-__Maxlife_$1#Post4831306

Use any 5w30 d1g2 or dexos2

My choice would be the Synpower MST 5w30 on sale at Napa this month for $5.49/qt. Or the PP Euro L from Walmart. Both are dexos2 and both seem to have a $10 rebate attached to them. If you don't want to use dexos2 or don't want something quite that heavy and prefer an ILSAC lighter oil, then use any d1g2, such as the regular 5w30 synthetics (Valvoline Advanced or PP or PUP if you can find it). Use the cheapest d1g2 synthetic on sale to the full OCI suggested by the minder.

My top choices:
Valvoline MST 5w30
PP Euro L 5w30
PUP 5w30 (you have to order it online, but you can pick it up at Walmart)
PP 5w30
VAS 5w30

For the filter, get the Fram PH7317 at Walmart. Although Napa has their Platinum filters on sale this month for $8.99, I don't like the Wix filters for this application (57356) because the actual media cartridge is tiny!

The Valvoline Modern Engine is probably not worth the price they're charging for it.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: parshisa
Any 5w30 in D1G2 will work great for this application!

Even though the OM calls for 0W20?

Yes, because it's someone else's car. That's how many BITOG suggestions work, you know.
wink.gif

The engines fuel dilute any type of base oil blend.

Correct. Given low starting vis for these 5w30 oil and fuel dilution in these engines you’ll end up with 20 weight. So no issue atvall

What viscosity and classification does your OM call for? Not a fan of 0w any oil. I would at least go with a 5w in the Summer and possibly a 0W for winter considering your up north location. I have a 2018 2.0T Hyundai and I'm running Castrol Edge 5w30 A5 which is what OM calls for. Its not only labeled GDI Turbo but exceeds SN+, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 as well as Honda Spec HTO-06. Use what your OM says and you shouldn't have a problem. Good Luck..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThumperRidgeline
What viscosity and classification does your OM call for? Not a fan of 0w any oil. I would at least go with a 5w in the Summer and possibly a 0W for winter considering your up north location.

Why is that? Generally an oil that meets the 0W specification is made from high quality base stocks.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: ThumperRidgeline
What viscosity and classification does your OM call for? Not a fan of 0w any oil. I would at least go with a 5w in the Summer and possibly a 0W for winter considering your up north location.

Why is that? Generally an oil that meets the 0W specification is made from high quality base stocks.

I’m thinking that someone has forgotten what the W means.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Any particular 0W20 off the shelf from Wally?
Recommending Mobil1 AFE 0w30 to get the "0w" cold weather performance and the "30" part will fight the possible (inevitable??) fuel dilution. You can run 0w20 in the future if and only if fuel dilution is not there. It might be, so declare it guilty now, and only switch to the thin 0w20 if the engine proves its not getting it, for its own protection.
Really any full-syn 5w30 you see on the shelf at the Walmart palace-of-oil-bargains-in-the-5qt-size will do. I prefer 0w30 in that application.
And, walmart has the best oil filter around: Fram Ultra is wire-backed, efficient.

in florida i would go with a 10W-30 although no 10W is specd these days. it works for me in PA, although not a oil thinning honda a 10W-30 is a more robust oil that will be better as it thins. even though some better base oils are prolly used in 0W oils they can burn off quicker. the 20W is for the manufacturers benefit of a small mpg increase to meet the EPA requirements otherwise they are penalized!! the 30W will benefit YOU + your engines longevity!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back