oil for 2015 nissan xterra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up to 3000 miles on my xterra.Wont to change oil and filter at 5000 miles as the owners manual recommends.It has a 4.0liter v6 engine. Nissan recommends 5w30 oil. However the owners manual states that nissan 5w30 ester oil is recommended. My question is can I use say Redline (which is an ester oil but without the API cert which is also a recommendation in the owners maual.)or can i use any of the other well known 5w30 synthetic oils.I do not wont to run afoul of the owners manual and then have a problem and have them void the warranty.The nissan 5w30 eater oil is about 15.00 a quart! yeah I know $$$. I also plan on using a nissan filter as well. thanks in advance. I wont to keep this vehicle for at least 10 years. Right now I am thinking maybe amsoil as it still would be cheaper than the nissan oil. thanks again for the help. new to the forum.

my cousin has a 07 xterra with over 150k, and i have changed his oil for about 4 years now, always using valvoline 10w-30 with oem filters. he has not had any issues, hes my neighbor, i would know

edit: i know this doesnt really help you, just giving my .2

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have a VOA of the Nissan Ester oil?

All the manual says is 5w30? No spec?

I would say stick with a name brand synthetic while under warranty such as M1,PP or QSUD in the 0w30 flavor.

Nissan 'ester oil' isn't anything that special...and it's expensive.

An idea would be to use Castrol Magnatec; which has the same properties but is much cheaper.

If that motor us has hard on oil like the 35VQ .. I think any main line full synthetic would be fine.. 5w30. Castrol, Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, Valvoline, Havoline etc. I've been partial to Castrol w titanium, Pennzoil Ultra or Havoline. I am running the Rotella T5 10w30 now just to try something different. So far so very good
smile.gif

Again, it will be fine with just about any product you can buy. Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 would be just fine too. Or Castrol GTX, Valvoline conventional.

You'd be far better to stick to any SN/GF-5 5w-30 if you're interested in following the manual recommendations to the letter. The Nissan ester oil, as has already been pointed out, isn't anything special, and you're aware of the price. They don't even push it up here; it's mentioned in the manuals, but not even listed on the service prices at the Infiniti/Nissan dealer here.

I ran PYB 5w-30 in my G37 for the longest time.

I have the same V6 in my 2012 Pathfinder don't waste your $ on Nissan oil just use any quality Dino or synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 I use Mobil 1 and my V6 runs great. I do recommend a Fram Ultra filter.

On another note there are many Nissan VQ40DE V6 owners running synthetic 40 weight oil like OW40 or 5w40 that seem to have great used oil analysis results although to keep your truck in warranty compliance I would stick with the 30 weight oil.

OP is in Boston.... short summer

Any full synthetic 5w30 can be used.

Nissan ester is nothing special.

Certain driving styles with VQ's can shred oil. Consider a 0w40, especially if you tow, or enjoy hours of Boston traffic.

Redline makes an excellent oil.

I run Mobil1 EP or Pennzoil Platinum in mine, both 5W30. Mobil1 M1-110 or Fram Ultra 7317 filters.

I ran Mobil1 0w40 in my wife's 2006 Xterra almost exclusively for the last couple years we had it. In the 2013 we traded it for, I've been using M1 0w40 for the last 10k miles and a M1 filter. I change every 5k miles and will probably continue to use this oil for the duration of ownership. MPG doesn't suffer even though it's a "heavier" oil, so don't let that deter you from using it. Castrol Edge 0w40 is another excellent oil, and I'd use whichever of the two is cheaper at Wal-Mart at the time.

Originally Posted By: sgtrockjoe
Coming up to 3000 miles on my xterra.Wont to change oil and filter at 5000 miles as the owners manual recommends.It has a 4.0liter v6 engine. Nissan recommends 5w30 oil. However the owners manual states that nissan 5w30 ester oil is recommended. My question is can I use say Redline (which is an ester oil but without the API cert which is also a recommendation in the owners maual.)or can i use any of the other well known 5w30 synthetic oils.I do not wont to run afoul of the owners manual and then have a problem and have them void the warranty.The nissan 5w30 eater oil is about 15.00 a quart! yeah I know $$$. I also plan on using a nissan filter as well. thanks in advance. I wont to keep this vehicle for at least 10 years. Right now I am thinking maybe amsoil as it still would be cheaper than the nissan oil. thanks again for the help. new to the forum.

I have a '15 Desert Runner with the same engine. Just did my first OC using OEM filter and Castrol Magnatec. I personally drive less that 5 miles to and from work. If you plan on using the severe OC schedule, just about any dino, semi syn or full syn will work.
If you have heavy stop and go traffic or excessive idle/short trips, go semi of full synthetic.
Stick with spec weights until warranty is gone.
BTW,IMO if Nissan ester was so good, why do all the Nissan dealers in my area use Mobile or Valvoline products? LOL

Last edited:
We're on our second VQ40DE V6. Anything I've ever used in them has made them purr like kittens. Just the ones I can remember off-hand: PYB, Kendall Semi Syn, Kendall Full Syn, NAPA Synthetic, Castrol Syntec, Walmart Super Tech Conventional and Synthetic, Valvoline Maxlife, etc... You'll be good with any quality oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back