Oil for 2011 Ford Fiesta SES w/ 1.6 L Duratec Ti-VCT Engine

One of my daughters just got a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES which has the 1.6 L Duratec Ti-VCT Engine. It is in very good physical and mechanical condition. It has about 135K miles on it. The previous owner has maintenance records showing religious oil changes every 4K miles.

According to the owner's manual, "use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A."

For those with knowledge and experience with this particular engine, what do you think about running a 5W-30 (full synthetic) instead? I'm thinking Liqui Moly SPECIAL TEC AA SAE 5W-30.

That would allow me to stock a single oil for use in both of my daughters' vehicles, the other one being a 2012 Dodge Journey Crew AWD with the 3.6 L Pentastar engine.

5w-30 will be perfectly fine. In Europe for the same engine they didn't even call for 5w-20 if I'm not mistaken. only 30 and higher.

One of my daughters just got a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES which has the 1.6 L Duratec Ti-VCT Engine. It is in very good physical and mechanical condition. It has about 135K miles on it. The previous owner has maintenance records showing religious oil changes every 4K miles.

According to the owner's manual, "use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A."

For those with knowledge and experience with this particular engine, what do you think about running a 5W-30 (full synthetic) instead? I'm thinking Liqui Moly SPECIAL TEC AA SAE 5W-30.

That would allow me to stock a single oil for use in both of my daughters' vehicles, the other one being a 2012 Dodge Journey Crew AWD with the 3.6 L Pentastar engine.
I would be way more concerned with the transmission ! ( if it's the dual clutch automatic ) than engine oil.....

What would make the Liquli Moly special? I would not have a problem using a Xw-30 . I run Xw-40s in my daughters 2010 Focus, My sons 2006 Tacoma with the 2.7 engine ,my wife's 2018 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine and my 2015 Ford F150 with the 2.7 engine.

What would make the Liquli Moly special?
I wouldn't say anything makes Liqui Moly "special" relative to other high-quality synthetics. I just like their oils and am perfectly fine with what I pay for them. I use their Leichtlauf 5W-40 in my BMWs and a family member's Audi A5, but that particular oil probably isn't the best choice for my daughers' Ford Fiesta and Dodge Journey. Their 5W-30 Special Tec AA seems like a better choice for those two vehicles.

I would be way more concerned with the transmission ! ( if it's the dual clutch automatic ) than engine oil.....
Exactly!! I'd worry more about getting a fill of the correct trans oil. These engines run fine for hundreds of thousands on any 5W-20, the transmissions not so much...

I'd just use a good synthetic 0/5W-20/30 depending on the season and not bother with 'exotic' Germans oils for this engine. Especially if they might spoil the cat...

I'd just use a good synthetic 0/5W-20/30 depending on the season and not bother with 'exotic' Germans oils for this engine. Especially if they might spoil the cat...
How would an API SP oil with approval across a broad range of brands risk damage to a vehicle's catalytic converter? Again, I just like the Liqui Moly oils and am perfectly fine with what I pay for them. So how is it any different than Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc, etc?

The focus of this thread was intended to be about use of 5W-30 in the 1.6 L Duratec Ti-VCT Engine.

Liqui Moly oils

If you already know everything, or the answer to your question, why bother to start a thread. You're not really looking for advice you're looking for validation and a sounding board...

In any case I was referring the "just use 5W-40" nubs...

Last edited:
I would also make sure you change the coolant/antifreeze if it's the Orange stuff (Dexcool) as there were some issues in Ford engines and Ford has since gone to a Gold formula, but the Orange should be fine if you change it out before the 150K max...

If you already know everything, or the answer to your question, why bother to start a thread. You're not really looking for advice you're looking for validation and a sounding board...
I definitely don't. I simply have a brand affinity and that's not the topic of this thread. You made a statement; I simply asked a question in return.

Like most everyone on this forum, I've read ad nauseum on the thinner versus thicker topic. What I'm most interested in is knowledge and experience with the particular engine in question.

I definitely don't. I simply have a brand affinity and that's not the topic of this thread. You made a statement; I simply asked a question in return.

Like most everyone on this forum, I've read ad nauseum on the thinner versus thicker topic. What I'm most interested in is knowledge and experience with the particular engine in question.

You may want to check the Ford forum for this type of question:
"What I'm most interested in is knowledge and experience with the particular engine in question"

I don't have this car with this particular engine so I cannot answer your question.
There are probably subforum in the Ford forum talking with other owners of this particular engine.

I wouldn't say anything makes Liqui Moly "special" relative to other high-quality synthetics. I just like their oils and am perfectly fine with what I pay for them. I use their Leichtlauf 5W-40 in my BMWs and a family member's Audi A5, but that particular oil probably isn't the best choice for my daughers' Ford Fiesta and Dodge Journey. Their 5W-30 Special Tec AA seems like a better choice for those two vehicles.
Use it then. I can appreciate your choice of oil.

Going up a viscosity grade won't hurt that engine or any other, as most here know. You'll likely be better off for it. :)

That very engine here in the UK calls for a 5w30 that meets WSS-M2C913D or if unavailable, any 5w30 that meets ACEA A5/B5. Hope this helps.

If it was mine? Mobil1 FS or Castrol Edge 0w40.

For the record, I sometimes use 5W-30 in my Ford 2.0LVCT which like the 1.6 is largely Mazda sourced and bulletproof and probably will be using a 5W-30 Mobil 1 variant this weekend. I could care less what you used, but while Liqui Moly is a good manufacturer (I used their oil saver in my father's Vulcan Taurus to slow down leaks and it has done well), it just seems to be an odd choice in terms of price and availability. It's a fine oil, but just commenting on the fact that there are cheaper and more readily available ones out there Irregardless of weight you prefer. If you have it on hand then go for it but I ain't running out to NAPA or AA to buy this for the $40 per jug for a pedestrian NA 4-cyl...

I'm pretty sure these engines, when naturally aspirated, don't care about "thick or thin" and the previous owner did get to 135K with a decent but unexciting 5W-20 blend. Any 0/5W-20/30 will net you almost indefinite mileage on these powerplants...

If I'm going boutique on these engines, I'd rather get the Mazda/Idemitsu 0W-20 or 5W-30 filled with Moly...

Last edited:

Did you check what your bro, Cbarlow is using?

This engine is not Mazda design, it is the sigma engine which is Yamaha design from the 1995.as already stated in Europe only 5w30 wss913D spec is recommended.

It appears this engine has a wet-timing belt that should be changed proactively, 80-100k. Wet t-belts are more expensive to maintain than a simple timing chain. You can’t see the rubber disintegrate and plug up the oil pump screen.

Back