Oil for 2008 Mazda5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this car brand new to be my wife's daily driver back in August 2008. We have put almost 14k miles on it since then. I has recieved 3 oil changes, all done by me, using Mobil 1 5w20 and a purolator pureone filter. Is this oil acceptable or can you recommend me a better oil for this car?

That seems like a short OCI, FF + 3 changes in 14,000 miles. The Mobil 5000 is fine for longer than what you're using it for already. If you wanted to go longer, obviously Mobil makes oils with more detergents and a more stable base (M1, M1 EP). But what you're doing is certainly fine.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
That seems like a short OCI, FF + 3 changes in 14,000 miles. The Mobil 5000 is fine for longer than what you're using it for already. If you wanted to go longer, obviously Mobil makes oils with more detergents and a more stable base (M1, M1 EP). But what you're doing is certainly fine.

I'm using Mobil 1, not 5000. I only changed it that frequently just because the car was new. I usually change my oil and filter every 5000 miles.

If that is the same base engine as the Ford Focus and Fusion then go much longer on your OCI. I go 10,000 miles on my 07 Focus with M1 5-30 EP.

5000 miles on M1 with a PureOne is a bit overkill, but if you're happy doing it that's fine. I would probably stretch that out to 7500 unless you do severe service (stop and go, towing, etc...).

Better oils? You'll get opinions but no, there is no oil that is "better" than M1 in your application. Obviously EP will have more detergents, but you're not even close to that point that becomes an issue at 5000 miles.

Interesting. I thought 5k was ok. I guess I have some reading to do if I can go beyond that to a point with no issue.

New car. I'd follow the manufactures recommendation in the owners manual. If using M1(synthetic), I'd go out to the 7,500 mile recommendation while under warranty. 5y/60,000 Mi.

Originally Posted By: anjoga
Interesting. I thought 5k was ok. I guess I have some reading to do if I can go beyond that to a point with no issue.

the 2.3L is a fantastic engine. Just run a cheap dino every 5k until out of warranty. If you are OCD about keeping the engine clean run the Auto-RX maintenance dose with it.

I'm currently on that exact regimen with both of my 2.3L (2006 Mazda6 and 2007 Ford Escape).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back