Oil for 2003 Honda Accord 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually get lifetime oil and filter changes, 4 per year from the Honda dealer that I was going to take advantage of. With my mileage and type of use, however I may need more than 4. What would be a good change interval for synthetic based on severe use?

I would use a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1 5W-30 or Amsoil ASL 5W-30 and take advantage of the free labor provided by your dealer.

Ask him if he would do the oil changes for free if you provide the oil. After the first 10k miles I believe that 6k mile changes are safe, considering the yearly miles you plan to put on your car.

I would do oil changes myself but I do not know if you have the space or desire to do so.

I reccommend this viscosity -5W-30- although it does not seem to be recommended but, as I understand, allowable according to your manual.

[ September 16, 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: highmiler ]

Mobil 1 0w-20, 5w-30 or Same grade in Amsoil brand. Which ever you can get cheaper. I think your car will love the 0w-20 Mobil 1.

Highway commuting (even in congested CT) is less stressful on the oil than pure city driving. Especially if you're a moderate driver.

Having the oil changed four times a year for free, (for you, roughly every 4300 miles) using the dealer's 5W-20 regular oil, will be more than enough to make your car last to 200K.

Nonetheless, I'd use Mobil 1, going Honda's full (7,500 mile?) interval :)

Edit: I calculated the 4,300 miles using 66 miles/day times 5 days/week times 52 weeks, then dividing by 4. Didn't see your "25K/year" statement... that's 6,250 miles/quarter. Go with Mobil 1!

[ September 16, 2003, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: quadrun1 ]

I'm new to this site, referred here from the ClarkHoward.com Cars forum. I am approaching 3000 miles on my new Accord and will be changing the oil soon. I would like to get recommendations based on my driving. I drive approx. 25K per year, commuting 33 miles each way, 25 of which are highway rush hour. The rest of the miles are a mix also. I drive moderately to conserve gas and brakes. I plan to keep this car for at least 200K miles or more. What would be a good choice for oil and change intervals in the moderate price range?

Dave46,

I believe that Honda's drain interval is 6 months/7,500 miles? Since your car is new, I would cut that in half 3-4 months/3,750 miles for the first 10,000 miles. Based on your commuting i.e. severe use as defined by the manufacturer.

Honda and Ford are now recommending 5w-20 instead of the standard 5w-30. I, personally would not go more than 6 months/5,000 miles on that thinner oil. Check out the Used oil analysis section (UOA) for more details about the recommended xW-20 oils.

I am biased toward synthetic oil, only because I hate changing oil as often with conventional oil. That is a decision you can make after reading the great information on this board.

Do you change your oil or do you take it to a dealer/quick lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back