Oil for 2001 Civic SI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
It would most likely void the warranty. Best to stick with the 5w20 for at least the first few oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by rick:
The manual calls for a 5W-20 weight all year round, would using the Syntec 0W-30 all year round on this car be ok or would it void the warranty?

It won't void the warranty. But the only way I'd use Syntec 0w30 is if it's the "Made in Germany" stuff that's just now showing up in stores in Canada.

If it were mine, I'd probably run the new Mobil 1 0w20 due out next month.

I bet the 0w20 doesn't come to Canada right away though, we always end up getting stuff much later.

How do you figure it won't void his warranty to run 0w30 though? I thought Honda was very strict about using 5w20/0w20 ONLY with no exceptions?

The car does have 32,000km on the engine, so would it be ok to use the german 0W-30 syntec all year round. If doing so this shouldn't void the warranty?

I'm assuming that honda is just calling for this vis because for conventional 5W-20 will save gas, so if that is the case using 0-30 syntec shouldn't cause any problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
How do you figure it won't void his warranty to run 0w30 though? I thought Honda was very strict about using 5w20/0w20 ONLY with no exceptions?

For the warranty to even become an issue, the engine would have to suffer a failure of some sort and a warranty claim would have to be made. The burden would be on Honda to show that the problem was oil related, and they would further have the burden of proving that the specific oil used at the time of the problem was the proximate cause of the failure. All this would be predicated on them establishing that the oil wasn't actually 5w20. Once they've done all that, then and only then would the warranty be void.

Then I'd definitely give a big thumbs up to the Castrol 0w30!
smile.gif

I really like the sounds of this oil (if you guys hadn't noticed!) I just hope they don't take it away from us. It would be nice to see more European oils like this make it over here.

It'll be very interesting to see if this stuff thins out at all on the 6k interval I've got planned for it in my sister's 99 Civic. If her first analysis looks good, I plan on pushing the oil a lot further than 6k on the next interval. Let's see how good that BMW long life spec really is!
grin.gif

So everyone, does the jurry vote ok for Syntec 0W-30 on a 2001 Civic si that has 32,000km

Rick the reason people are saying "no" to the Syntec because most likely you are referring to the black bottle, made in Canada stuff which afaik is a Group III synthetic, not a group IV. Since the cost is similar between the two I'd use Mobil 1. If you can buy the new bottle design Syntec that is made in Germany then you are getting a group IV synthetic and your moneys worth. Imo.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Rick the reason people are saying "no" to the Syntec because most likely you are referring to the black bottle, made in Canada stuff which afaik is a Group III synthetic, not a group IV. Since the cost is similar between the two I'd use Mobil 1. If you can buy the new bottle design Syntec that is made in Germany then you are getting a group IV synthetic and your moneys worth. Imo.
smile.gif

What does the new bottle look like? Is it silver like the European bottles?

Tooslick, I have to give your credit (seriously) for recommending other brands like you do. Your not a typical sales rep. thats for sure. You really go out of your way to recommend the best choice for the individual. Why can't all sales reps. be that way??
smile.gif

my Honda manual says you can use 5w-30 oil if needed should 5w-20 not be available, but they recommend going back to 5w-20. This is for a 2002 Honda Civic SiR. My car has never seen 5w-20 since the factory fill was drained, strictly 5w-30 for me. I actually came across one person that said our cams would wear out in no time by using 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 oil, its a crazy world we live in !
shocked.gif

LOL I seriously doubt that using the German syntec 0W-30 is going to cause more then normal wear.
I have come to conclustion that from everything that I have heard that the German syntec is going to be just fine and will not cause any exesive wear considering the quality of this oil.
Thanks All.

quote:

Originally posted by 2K2AcuraTL:
My .02c worth...
Castrol syntec is in the same boat as Fram Fitlers.....

...nuff said
thumbsdown.gif

If you're talking about the "Made in USA" Syntec, I agree 100%. The German 0w30 is something else altogether. Read the thread on that stuff and look at the specs. This is one impressive looking oil.

The manual calls for a 5W-20 weight all year round, would using the Syntec 0W-30 all year round on this car be ok or would it void the warranty?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
What does the new bottle look like? Is it silver like the European bottles?

Nope, same black bottle, but it just has the new labels on it. The 0w30 part is in red instead of yellow.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by 2K2AcuraTL:
My .02c worth...
Castrol syntec is in the same boat as Fram Fitlers.....

...nuff said
thumbsdown.gif

If you're talking about the "Made in USA" Syntec, I agree 100%. The German 0w30 is something else altogether. Read the thread on that stuff and look at the specs. This is one impressive looking oil.

Fair enough.. I'll have to keep an eye open for this oil then...(wonder if its available Canada..??)

So far this oil is ONLY in Canada, not in the US. Of course it's in Europe too.
smile.gif

Look for it with the new Syntec label, and the 0w30 is in red instead of yellow. It says made in Germany on the back. Walmart is the only place I've seen it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back