Oil for 2000 Saturn SL 1 w/91k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2000 Saturn SL1 with just 91k miles; the SOHC 1.9. Overall the car looks well-cared-for, but I found a window sticker from a quick lube shop that said next change due in December 2011. (I bought it from a Bargain Cars lot that offers great prices but does not change oil "unless it's gross.")

Despite close to a year gone by since the oil was changed, as indicated by the sticker, it does not look terrible and the car added less than 4k miles since then---if we go by the sticker from the quick lube. It's a half-quart low, but this is a Saturn....

Suggestion for its first OC? I'm thinking semi-syn 5w-30, but seek wisdom from Saturn experts and oil wizards in general. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: faramir9
Just bought a 2000 Saturn SL1 with just 91k miles; the SOHC 1.9. Overall the car looks well-cared-for, but I found a window sticker from a quick lube shop that said next change due in December 2011. (I bought it from a Bargain Cars lot that offers great prices but does not change oil "unless it's gross.")

Despite close to a year gone by since the oil was changed, as indicated by the sticker, it does not look terrible and the car added less than 4k miles since then---if we go by the sticker from the quick lube. It's a half-quart low, but this is a Saturn....

Suggestion for its first OC? I'm thinking semi-syn 5w-30, but seek wisdom from Saturn experts and oil wizards in general. Thanks.

Forgot to update my sig, with the Saturn added. It's a maroon/red SL1 auto tranny.

Last edited:
Hey! Congrats on your Saturn purchase!

I'm on my 2nd (see Sig). I could type for a long time about Saturns, but your best bet for what Saturns need is saturnfans.com. Go to the forum, S-Series General and read "New or Returning S-Series Owners Checklist Version 3.0" sticky on top. Read that carefully and you'll be in the best situation possible.
thumbsup2.gif

For the oil, please, go with a 5w-30 as what's recommended. Don't use a HM oil unless you prove it should have it. Pennzoil, Havoline are a couple excellent conventional oils to start off with.

Put in an "Extended Length" oil filter, like a NAPA Gold 1516, PureOne PL20195, Mobil 1 M1-209, etc.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Hey! Congrats on your Saturn purchase!

I'm on my 2nd (see Sig). I could type for a long time about Saturns, but your best bet for what Saturns need is saturnfans.com. Go to the forum, S-Series General and read "New or Returning S-Series Owners Checklist Version 3.0" sticky on top. Read that carefully and you'll be in the best situation possible.
thumbsup2.gif

For the oil, please, go with a 5w-30 as what's recommended. Don't use a HM oil unless you prove it should have it. Pennzoil, Havoline are a couple excellent conventional oils to start off with.

Put in an "Extended Length" oil filter, like a NAPA Gold 1516, PureOne PL20195, Mobil 1 M1-209, etc.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Thanks. (And all others who replied, too.) I checked out the tutorial at saturnfans. Good info. This is my second Saturn SL.

Hope this does not get me kicked off this forum, but I will likely go to a local shop---not a quick lube---and get a Quaker State semi-syn OC tomorrow. With the discount through my credit union and a great coupon deal, I can get that for $18 or $19. Too good to pass up.

Will be sure to ask about the filter, though. Also definitely 5w-30 and no HM oil at least for now; maybe when it gets well over 100k. Gonna keep a close eye on oil consumption, but that's part of the fun of driving a Saturn....

Any 5w30.. All of my 3 Saturns ran the same on any oil I put in them. I would go back and forth between conventional and synthetic for winter, but that's about it. Usually 5w30. The more you drive it (especially hard) I found the less they burn (frees up rings)

Grats on the SL... I want another one.

I would run any of the high mileage 5w30 oils available for a couple 3K oil changes to clean the engine out. You may want to try the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil if you do not have any oil leaks right now. Shorter OCIs will be the main factor in getting the engine cleaned up (if it's dirty). Do you have a picture of the oil filler area? Looking in there will give you a good idea of the possible sludge buildup.

I recommend the Purolator Pure One oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Hemi_Time
I would run any of the high mileage 5w30 oils available for a couple 3K oil changes to clean the engine out. You may want to try the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil if you do not have any oil leaks right now. Shorter OCIs will be the main factor in getting the engine cleaned up (if it's dirty). Do you have a picture of the oil filler area? Looking in there will give you a good idea of the possible sludge buildup.

True confession time: I have never run a HM oil. My Chevy has 99k miles on it but never burned more than a quarter of a quart between OC's; thus I used M1 most of the time and Mobil dino a coupla times when cash-strapped.

Apart from the arbitrary 75k miles standard set by oil manufacturers, what 'qualifies' a car as a good candidate for HM oil?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Hemi_Time

I recommend the Purolator Pure One oil filters.

I went with QS HM (not Defy) 5w-30. Almost went for 10w-30 but decided to see how it goes with the 'preferred' grade. If it burns much oil the first 1,500 miles or so I plan to dump it and do an early OC with 10w-30. Where I live it's just cold enough from late fall through winter that I don't want to run 10w-30 unless the car gives me reason to.

Thanks again for all the advice.

One of the big causes for oil consumption that I've read about in the Saturn 1.9L's is an improper PCV valve, at satrunfans.com they tend to steer people towards an AC Delco PCV Valve apparently aftermarket PCV valves don't get the spring pressure right, also if you use a heavier weight oil (anything higher than 5w-30) they will burn oil as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back