Oil for 2.4L chrysler motor in a jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 wrangler, with a 2.4L Chrysler "world engine". I just bought the car, and im ready to switch to synth and longer OCI's.

Anyone have experience with this motor? I have used M1 in the past, but some of the newer UOA's dont look too hot.

Would mobil 1 turbodiesel truck work well? Any suggestions?

If it's the 2.4L world engine, 5w20 or 5w30, your pick....unless you live in USA....can't get anything out of Chrysler there saying 5w30 is OK :)
I kid I kid....I have an '08 Patriot that sees PP5w30 the majority of the time, and 5w20 over the winter months.
Both work fine, but if you are going to be towing, or doing some off roading, a syn 5w30 would be my pick.
*** it won't be a WORLD engine, Chrysler didn't start using them until 2008.

Last edited:
Yes, i believe its the same as the PT cruiser, the "EDZ".

Spartuss, they did away with the 2.5 in 2002 or so. I believe MY03 got the 2.4 DOHC motors.

FWIW, I think my owners manual and oil cap says 5w30. I know I am supposed to use 5w30, wanted to know if one might work better than another, since this is a common engine in many models, I figured there would have been lots of data.

Yep, my 02 SE was the last year for the morphed 4.2 from 1982.

I had hoped that they would have worked with the 2.4 a bit more. Much of the SRT and PT turbo stuff should have been workable on it.

Right? It has enough power to get around town, but the hwy power isnt good.. 6th gear is virtually useless.

They coupled it to a 6 speed? I think in 03 they only offered it with the 45RE. Good. At least you can just not use 6th gear. Imagine having your automatic perpetually shifting and/or engaging/disengaging the converter clutch all of your highway life. It's not bad with my 30RH (3speed). You have to get pretty deep into the throttle to trigger it.

My neighbor's Rubi has a 6 speed. It too seems like a useless gear. If your tires are tall enough, so is 5th in the AX15 or NV3550.

05 brought the benz 6-speed manual even with the 2.4. I do suppose the much larger 30 or 31 inch tires really kill the 6th gear performance, as I believe 6th would be ok on the hwy with AC off and top on.

I was kicking around the idea of using mobil 1 turbodiesel truck 5w-40 since it has done so well in every vehicle ive had and i believe it has a gas motor rating too.

If you want to reduce inventory to one oil it would make sense. There's not much of a downside when pushing a 3300lb brick into the wind if you drive it normally. Full size pickups challenge my 2.5 for higher speed fuel economy. In town, mine goes down to big block range (only half joking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back