Oil for 1998 mustang 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought a 98 mustang with the 3.8 v/6. It is due for an oil/filter change. It has a total of 78000 miles on the car. The book calls for 5/30 oil. I happen to have a large stash of 10/30. Since it will be used like my other classic vehicles, which rarely ever started in temps under 50 degrees, I am thinking that 10/30 would be fine, Right?? Well, I MAY want to use it once or twice in the winter, but then my garage never gets below freezing.

I must be getting old, didn't even have 5W30 oil when I was going to University.
If was really cold for a spell, there was SAE 20W or 10W30.

I was driving a 1969 428 Cobra Jet Fairlane 500 or borrowing my dads 1970 Buick Electra 225 with a 455
this was in 1976- 78.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OilReport99
> removed photo of : Havoline 10W30 with Deposit Shield

Is this oil any good Now?

It hasn't been Since Chevron too over the branding from Texaco.

Tried it a few times and it was poor.

Should be just fine, thats an old push rod motor, should do well on the 10w30. Years ago a friend of mine bought a 1999 3.8 mustang used with high mileage, it had a slight lifter tick and dident idle very well. We used diesel 15w40 in it for about a year and the tick went away and began to run smoother. After the first year 10w30 was all that he used. We believed it was not maintained well and may have had sludge issue which contributed to a stuck lifter. Its possible the detergents in the Rotella brought the lifter back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back