Not open for further replies.
Hi Need rec for oil choices

2008 HYUNDAI SONATA SE/LIMITED
3.3L V6 F DOHC 24V
GASOLINE
95,000 miles

In the South. Hot high 90's but a few days down to 27
20,000 miles a year. Stop and go driving but I rarely am hard on the gas pedal/

My last few cars, bought used at 90,000 miles have all gone bad below 130,000 miles with me putting Mobil 1 in them. 1-Wrist pin. 2- Headgasket. 3-Value Job needed and would no pass emissions. 4- Seized on my son.
No idea about prior owners but at the least, the Mobil 1 didn't save me and I here stories ....

Try again or change it up

Last edited:
Using Google Search engine, you should have researched The Most Dependable Cars of 2008.
The one you purchased is somewhere near the bottom of the list for 2008.

I would buy any 5w30 synthetic on sale and Wix filters, changed every 5K.
Good luck with your Hyundai. Hope it lasts you twice as long as the others.

You take a risk when buying used, especially high mileage used.
The wrist pin might have been near the apex curve of developing a problem when you bought it. The previous owner(s) may have neglected the maintenance.

If you feel you've had bad luck with Mobil1, there are other choices.
Hate to say it, Hyundai engines are junk and are not known to be reliable past the 100K warranty intended for the first owner.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The wrist pin might have been near the apex curve of developing a problem when you bought it. The previous owner(s) may have neglected the maintenance.

Hate to say it, Hyundai engines are junk and are not known to be reliable past the 100K warranty intended for the first owner.

I would never trust the engines in the Audi and VWs you own. However, I now trust the 2.4 engine Hyundai has produced in the past four years.

Heck, I just recently bought one........
What I have a hard time adjusting to, is the "not-so-quiet" eight speed transmission, that seems to have shift points near/at every 10MPH, some changes occuring with RPMs near 4 and my foot is not even halfway down the gas pedal.

I can see myself doing tranny fluid changes every 30K or-so with this new Santa Fe, which now bears 1.8K on the odometer..

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Using Google Search engine, you should have researched The Most Dependable Cars of 2008.
The one you purchased is somewhere near the bottom of the list for 2008.

I would buy any 5w30 synthetic on sale and Wix filters, changed every 5K.
Good luck with your Hyundai. Hope it lasts you twice as long as the others.

Not much choice for me. Money. I was in a rental. I had 5 thousand in the bank. Total to live for 3 weeks
I'm left holding 1000 for repairs and issues.

My neighbor has the same car with 250,000 and I'd bet she never changed the oil. I see a lot with 150,000 to 250000 miles

That said

10 Great Used Cars Under $10,000 - Consumer Reports
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/...used-cars-under-10000.../index.htm
Jul 23, 2015 - 10 great used cars for teens under $10,000 ... Sonata has a pillowy ride—although the trade-off is numb handling. ... Reliability is good.

Best used cars under $10,000 and $15,000 - Clark Howard
https://clark.com/cars/best-used-cars/
Jan 10, 2018 - Best used cars under $10,000 and $15,000 ... Acura TL (2006); Acura TSX (2006); Hyundai Sonata (2007-09); Mazda6 (2009)

Last edited:
Wow, never expected to read that. Many Hyundai bad-news-reports here on pre-2015 Hyundai's. So that means good news, like Santa deja-vu, all over again....lol

Last edited:
It's a Hyundai motor so, that means "boundary layer" oil issues. Not on every motor, but YOUR motor is in the "Russian Roulette" chamber, and it is a solid contender. 5w-30 or even 5w-40 in the hot summer. Do not use 5w-20 oil.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by skyactiv

I would never trust the engines in the Audi and VWs you own. However, I now trust the 2.4 engine Hyundai has produced in the past four years.

Heck, I just recently bought one........
What I have a hard time adjusting to, is the "not-so-quiet" eight speed transmission, that seems to have shift points near/at every 10MPH, some changes occuring with RPMs near 4 and my foot is not even halfway down the gas pedal.

I can see myself doing tranny fluid changes every 30K or-so with this new Santa Fe, which now bears 1.8K on the odometer..

I'm not saying VW and Audi are any better. The OP is driving a Hyundai that is 11 model years old while you are driving one that is the current model year.
Smart choice to change your transmission fluid every X amount of miles.

Originally Posted by Mainia
It's a Hyundai motor so, that means "boundary layer" oil issues. Not on every motor, but YOUR motor is in the "Russian Roulette" chamber, and it is a solid contender. 5w-30 or even 5w-40 in the hot summer. Do not use 5w-20 oil.

Get the 5-30
I don't understand that.>>"boundary layer" oil issues.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
Hi Need rec for oil choices

2008 HYUNDAI SONATA SE/LIMITED
3.3L V6 F DOHC 24V
GASOLINE
95,000 miles

In the South. Hot high 90's but a few days down to 27
20,000 miles a year. Stop and go driving but I rarely am hard on the gas pedal/

My last few cars, bought used at 90,000 miles have all gone bad below 130,000 miles with me putting Mobil 1 in them. 1-Wrist pin. 2- Headgasket. 3-Value Job needed and would no pass emissions. 4- Seized on my son.
No idea about prior owners but at the least, the Mobil 1 didn't save me and I here stories ....

Try again or change it up

From the south here as well. You are not planning on using this for rural mail service are you? That kills pretty much any brand. Nothing wrong with that engine or that car. If it was (like any other car) properly maintained, it should run with out issues well beyond your 130K.I have owned 2 of those 3.3L, and several of the 2.0L, one 2.4L, and now a 1.8L. I have used Mobil One 5w-30 in each except for the 2006 3.3L, which I used Pennzoil Platinum. The only issue the 3.3L had was early 2006 models had a timing chain tensioner issue, which was quickly addressed mid year. Your car has low mileage on it, and the first thing I would do is replace the spark plugs (use NGK iridium). With a good synthetic, 5000 mile oil changes should serve you well.The only other items would be normal maintenance stuff such as tranny fluid, battery, coolant, etc.

Why did you not used the Mobil 1 in the 2006 3.3L? And what weight did you use?

Thanks

I'd use some Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w30 in it.

My great-aunt had a 2006 Sonata 2.4L until 150k miles when it was totaled. It was a great car, the only thing she ever did to it was a power steering hose and had an idler pulley replaced because it squeaked.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
Why did you not used the Mobil 1 in the 2006 3.3L? And what weight did you use?

Thanks

At the time I had always used Pennzoil products, but during that time, Pennzoil Platinum became hard to find, and was more $$ than The Mobil One. So I just started using it and never thought much about it. On my current elantra, I have used probably 90% Mobil One, and 10% Pennzoil Platinum. The car has 90K on it now.I would not hesitate to use either one. Both to me are equal quality oils. I have used 5w-30 in every one of my vehicles. Don't ask how I know this, but they just sound and 'feel' better on this weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back