Oil for '06 BMW Z4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Eddie said, you can buy the BMW 5w30 (blended synthetic) at the dealer for ~$5 a quart. If you want a full-synthetic than Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 0w30 are approved for by BMW. More importantly is ignoring the 15k oil changes. Have fun!

The BMW hi performance 5w-30 bottles say Full Synthetic, probably a group III. It is made by Castrol in the USA from domestic and foreign componets. There is a VOA posted of a recent batch. My last UOA from my 2003 330Ci has two runs of BMW 5w-30 and two runs of Castrol Syntec GC 0w-30 to compare. Each UOA is also posted seperately with Blackstone comments. My cars sees mostly short trips, <5 miles, I doubt either oil would last 15000 miles in my type service. I have been changing at 5-6000 miles. I like the GC 0w-30 better.

BMW goes with those long ocis, 15k or whatever time interval. I think the time interval is probally 1 year. The BMW OCs are free or "inclusive", so what I believe the best plan is to obtain an oil extractor pump, which pulls the old oil out through the dipstick tube. Do that mid-oci, ignore the filter and refill it with the same oil, whatever you choose or just get some dealer BMW 5w-30 oil and use that. The extractor is a great tool, and is usefull for other people's cars and for trans fluid changes where there is a dipstick. Another option is using the BMW 0w-40 synth and extending the OCIs out to where the dealer suggests, 15k, I guess. The BMW 0w-40 is a superior product, aka Castrol Edge Sport/Formula RS. I suppose another option would be an oil like Mobil 1 0w-40, that meets the BMW specs, I think GC does too. Me, I'd use the extractor and the free BMW 5w-30. Any of these plans would be money well-spent.

0w-40

-

GC

-

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
BMW goes with those long ocis, 15k or whatever time interval. I think the time interval is probally 1 year. The BMW OCs are free or "inclusive", so what I believe the best plan is to obtain an oil extractor pump, which pulls the old oil out through the dipstick tube. Do that mid-oci, ignore the filter and refill it with the same oil, whatever you choose or just get some dealer BMW 5w-30 oil and use that. The extractor is a great tool, and is usefull for other people's cars and for trans fluid changes where there is a dipstick. Another option is using the BMW 0w-40 synth and extending the OCIs out to where the dealer suggests, 15k, I guess. The BMW 0w-40 is a superior product, aka Castrol Edge Sport/Formula RS. I suppose another option would be an oil like Mobil 1 0w-40, that meets the BMW specs, I think GC does too. Me, I'd use the extractor and the free BMW 5w-30. Any of these plans would be money well-spent.

0w-40

Well on E46's it was 601 gallons used in the manual tranny and 660 gallons used for the automatic which it would base off for the 15k OCI. It's so easy to drain the oil if you have a way of raising the vehicle and an oil pan to drain into.

Do NOT ignore the filter, they only cost a few bucks so you should not skip out on it especially if you change it at halfway intervals (say 7.5k miles). You can't buy the BMW 0w40 in stores or at the dealer unless you order it. The BMW 5w30 is not free unless it's a scheduled oil change where they do it for you and you basically pay for that stuff when you buy the car anyway.

I don't think the E90 3 series have a dipstick for the oil. They have an oil level sensor instead. I haven't seen the 0w-40 BMW oil at either of the dealerships I buy from. I haven't found any local BMW CCA members that have been able to find it either.

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:

Do NOT ignore the filter, they only cost a few bucks so you should not skip out on it especially if you change it at halfway intervals (say 7.5k miles). You can't buy the BMW 0w40 in stores or at the dealer unless you order it. The BMW 5w30 is not free unless it's a scheduled oil change where they do it for you and you basically pay for that stuff when you buy the car anyway.

Also, you might want to find a good online source for those filters. I got mine from Autohaus AZ for about $5 each - the local BMW dealer charges $15 for the exact same filter (Mann) .

Is the BMW 0W40 the new LL-04 stuff?
Motul and Elf might actually have something that meets that spec.

Change the filter with the oil. Not all dealers charge $15, I think mine charges $10-12, kinda pricey for what you get.
You can get a reboxed euro (Mann?) filter if you goto Pepboys and get the Purolator filter.
Best to get the "oil filter kit" that includes anew drainplug copper wash and o-ring for the oil filter cap.

I think I searched www.froogle.com and the cheapest place for filters was www.germanfilters.com

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
Is the BMW 0W40 the new LL-04 stuff?
[/URL]

LL-01 rated. For the Z4 guy that means approved for 2001 and newer BMW's for Long Life Intervals. The LL-04 rating is BMW's newer diesels with particulate filters.

There is no dipstick. I think I'll use Amsoil 5W40. I use it in all my Toyota trucks with good success. Will probably let the dealer change it for free under the service plan (about 15K) with the BMW oil and then change the oil mid-term with the Amsoil without reseting the oil change reminder. Alittle extra insurance for sure. I can't believe that 15K on BMW's oil is in the best interest of my new motor.

quote:

Originally posted by Stooge:
There is no dipstick. I think I'll use Amsoil 5W40. I use it in all my Toyota trucks with good success. Will probably let the dealer change it for free under the service plan (about 15K) with the BMW oil and then change the oil mid-term with the Amsoil without reseting the oil change reminder. Alittle extra insurance for sure. I can't believe that 15K on BMW's oil is in the best interest of my new motor.

I would also recommend changing the oil/filter out sometime around the first 3-5k miles.

06 Bimmer under warranty?

Take the free 15K / 1 year oil changes, and pay to change the oil and use the BMW approved oils at the halfway point.

15K is too long, and the warranty is too valuable to risk.

This is pretty much what I do with the Audi. Let the dealer change free at 10,000 miles and I pay to change in between...sorry guys, 10,000 is too long for me...

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
This is pretty much what I do with the Audi. Let the dealer change free at 10,000 miles and I pay to change in between...sorry guys, 10,000 is too long for me...

Especially if you have the 1.8T!

My 06 has the same R6 motor with no dipstick.

Check your manual,my 325i mentions zero about the LL-01 spec and says M1 5W30 and 5W40 is approved.

I also called BMW NA and they basically approved of most major brand synthetic 5W30 for use in the R6.

Stooge,

Some of the older BMWs, especially from the mid-90s, use 5w30 mineral oil as they recommend shorter intervals... < 10,000 miles. Using GTX 5w30 in these applications would make sense.

I doubt your dealership is using mineral oil in BMWs that have the 15k service interval. If they are, you need to report them as they're being paid to supply the correct product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back