Oil for '06 BMW Z4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
My 06 has the same R6 motor with no dipstick.

Check your manual,my 325i mentions zero about the LL-01 spec and says M1 5W30 and 5W40 is approved.

I also called BMW NA and they basically approved of most major brand synthetic 5W30 for use in the R6.

The manual's pretty poorly worded. In two places, it says to only use the approved Castrol product (shown above). In one place, it says that Mobil 1, 5w30 and 5w40 are also approved. The recommended Castrol is LL01 approved, Mobil 1 5w30 is NOT LL01 approved, and Mobil 1 does not make a 5w40 that's LL01 approved anymore - its now 0W40 Mobil 1 that's LL01 approved. The new 5w40 Mobil 1 is offered, but not LL01 approved and is more a light duty diesel oil. Again, the manuals really stink. And I've got real problems running there "approved" Castrol 5W30 any more that 5000 miles. Interestingly, my Dealership has bulk 55 gallon drums of Castol GTX and I believe he uses this. I saw them unload them new from the local Castrol distributer and that's all that's on the bulk oil rack.

And I'll report The Critic to the Oil Police for recommending 5W-30 mineral oil for any mid-'90s Bimmer. "Holy rod bearing, Batman!"
tongue.gif

ja, I think the dino oil bimmers got 15W40.

When that new owners manual was written M1 probably didn't have 5W40. I'd bet they meant 0W40.

I'd stay away from the stealership that uses Castrol GTX. Or I'd watch my bimmer like a hawk to make sure NONE ended up in my engine.

BMW Hi-Po 5W30 "synthetic" is fine for +5k. I think UOA's show it's about dead at 10k.

GC ist der uber oil.

Stooge,

The additive chemistry of the Amsoil 5w-40 meets all the latest Euro specs for low ash/sulphur/phosphorus oils. I'd use that and go with a fixed 10,000 mile OCI, which should be conservative given the 7.5 quart sump.

TS

Bimmer owners do 7-8k oil changes b/c is jives with the 15k "oil change lights".

If the lights are telling you to change closer to 20k (doubtful) then 10k OCI's would make sense.

Don't wait until 15k to get your first oil change. Bimmer/Roundel mag's tech editor says to do it at 1.2k. I'd do it by 2k. And the diff and manual tranny. Disregard BMWNA's "lifetime" fill **.

www.autohausaz.com oil filters on the cheap

BMW dino oil for the US "M"-engine is 15W40.

They shouldn't be using 5W30 dino oil in anything. Maybe a few oooolder bimmers roll in, but not in quantities that'd require 55 gallons of the stuff.

55 gallons goes by fairly quick...30 cars or so...perhaps they were rolling in their annual dino oil purchase?
grin.gif

quote:

Sure, but then why in the world is the dealership buying GTX 5w30 then?

Since when does the dealer do or even know what should be done?

Why did the US Audi dealers use 20W-50 mineral oil for years until AoA put an end to it?

Why, you ask? Because they're cheap, because they don't know any better, and most of all because they could not possibly care less. There are exceptions.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
And I'll report The Critic to the Oil Police for recommending 5W-30 mineral oil for any mid-'90s Bimmer. "Holy rod bearing, Batman!"
tongue.gif

Sure, but then why in the world is the dealership buying GTX 5w30 then?
confused.gif
I'm assuming that they're using it in engines that do not require the HP 5w30, or else, what would they be installing it in?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000804

Where in that UOA thread is Castrol GTX even mentioned?
dunno.gif

Nope, I'm just saying that that they may be a *possible* application for using GTX 5w30. Not that I endorse nor use it myself, btw.

Maybe? But the pan's aren't that big. I'm thinking more like 50-55 oil changes. On early 90's or older cars. With $100/hr or higher labors rates I don't think many owners would do this. Last price I heard for a BMW dealer oil change was $80 using 7qts of the "synthetic" Hi-Po. Figure $30 for the oil and that's $50 in labor.

I'd hope that they had some GC in there but that's probably farfetched.
Maybe there's another Syntec in the drum?
Maybe the local Castrol dealer tricked the service manager into thinking he was getting BMW oil?

Seems weird to me and if my car where going to that dealer I'd be asking all kinds of questions or bringing my own oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back