Oil Fliter Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently own 3x12 pack cases of the Old Style MotorCraft FL-820-S Filters that I bought new a couple of weeks ago. I store them inside of my house, low humidity & no moisture. Do I need to be concerned about the Shelf Life of this filter under these constant conditions?
Will these filters be "BAD" or expired after 3-5 Years???

Inside your house they'll be fine for many years..i have all mine in side too and not one bit worried about using them.

Wrap in plastic, or in a freezer bag then refrigerate. Oh mark the date on the bag.
wink.gif

My father stores his inside the house. He puts plastic sandwich wrap on the base of the filters, which runs up the side of them and then places it base down back in the box. He's been doing it that way for years. He buys enough filters to last him 3-4 years/vehicle. When he takes them out of the box the filter base is never rusted, its as good as it was the day he bought them. I now store mine the same way.

AD

I never thought of it, but I keep one quart of oil and a filter in the trunk of my car. Is there anything wrong with that filter? It's usually there for about 4-6 months, then gets put on the car and a new filter goes in the trunk. Should I stop doing that

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
My father stores his inside the house. He puts plastic sandwich wrap on the base of the filters, which runs up the side of them and then places it base down back in the box. He's been doing it that way for years. He buys enough filters to last him 3-4 years/vehicle. When he takes them out of the box the filter base is never rusted, its as good as it was the day he bought them. I now store mine the same way.

AD

I like that idea.

Use a food saver and vacuum seal them :). LOL mine sit on a shelf in the garage. But I never stock more than 1 at a time.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I never thought of it, but I keep one quart of oil and a filter in the trunk of my car. Is there anything wrong with that filter? It's usually there for about 4-6 months, then gets put on the car and a new filter goes in the trunk. Should I stop doing that

As long as the base plate doesn't flash rust I'd say you're OK. Plastic wrap is for those of us who stock pile them and keep them for long periods of time.

AD

I always carry an extra quart of oil and an oil filter. I remember a guy stranded on the highway because his oil filter had bursted for whatever reason.

I'll have to buy some plastic wrap then next pay, as I have my filters in the shed here at home and in my cabinet at my parents' garage.

If your filter bursts you're gonna need more than 1 quart in an emergency. I keep the next change in the trunk along with the old serp belt, ignition wires, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back