oil filters

Hi, I have a 2017 and a 2021 Volkswagen Jetta and a Jetta R-Series. Now, I know to change the spin on filters, but do I alos change this filter and where is it ?

Mann Filter HU719/6X Oil Filter​

It appears to be a cartridge oil filter. Do any your vehicles have one?
it would be used instead of a spin on oil filter.. whatever your manufacturer equipped your engine with.. I have never seen one with both.

My 2017 jeep cherokee with the 3.2 pentastar used the cartridge style. My2019 jeep cherokee with the 2.0T had a normal spin on oil filter

If you have a 2.0 liter engine then that is the oil filter. If you have the 1.4 liter engine then you have a spin-on filter.

I most certainly don't wish to sound ugly but if you don't know which one you have or even what this part is then you might want to defer this maintenance to a more experienced individual.

If you have a 2.0 liter engine then that is the oil filter. If you have the 1.4 liter engine then you have a spin-on filter.

I most certainly don't wish to sound ugly but if you don't know which one you have or even what this part is then you might want to defer this maintenance to a more experienced individual.
Nah, we all have to learn somehow. Sounds like that is what they're trying to do, and as a lifetime DIY guy, I support it!

The other posters are correct. This appears to be a difference between the 2 years/motors. There will be one or the other, not both. You can usually find this spec in the owner's manual of the vehicle, or searching online with year/make/model/engine spec.

Recommend researching more into the specifics of your vehicle at a owner-specific community, like r/Jetta on Reddit or a Jetta focused forum. You'll find tons of vehicle specific info there about oil changes (including model-specific caveats and gotchas), and pretty much anything else you could want to know.

Also be aware that VW requires a specific oil spec (especially while in-warranty) so be sure to purchase a compatible oil for your oil changes. This information can be found in the owner's manual of each vehicle, as well as online as per above. These oils will usually be notated by being labeled as "Euro" or something to that effect.

Or, if that all sounds like a bit much, you can always take it somewhere, but avoid quick lube joints, there's no telling what oil they'll put in there. Good luck!

Back