oil filters

I see JC Whitney is selling "MOTOR TREND" branded oil filters I contacted JC as to who makes those filters they could not provide a answer anyone know? or have tried them?

Motor Trend as in the car magazine ? If so, they are Purolator (the MT filters once sold at Target were made by Purolator but that was a few years ago).

No direct answer, but this might help your quest. IIRC, they started out at K-Mart and are also sold by Sears (no surprise since the companies are connected).

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Motor Trend as in the car magazine ? If so, they are Purolator (the MT filters once sold at Target were made by Purolator but that was a few years ago).
I believe Target's house brand filter was called Car and Driver. A quick Google shows the C&D was prolly a Champion

Last edited:
Always be carefull and check the spelling for items at JC Whitney. They like to use names that are very close & misleading to name brand items.

They went bankrupt some years ago. I never got about $50 worth of stuff or any money back. Now they are back in business. That's all I know about them, and that they stole $50 from me. They always were a bit sleazy, so any comments they give are not of much value.

JC Whitney? I recall their catalogs in the 80s-90s. Never bought anything from them, of course I was a broke 17 yr old. Now I'm just a broke 40 yr old.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
JC Whitney? I recall their catalogs in the 80s-90s. Never bought anything from them, of course I was a broke 17 yr old. Now I'm just a broke 40 yr old.
I recall their catalogs from the late 1950s and early 1960s when they sold things like used heads and transmission.