Oil filters. Which ones you guys like / trust / recommend for normal condition driven sedans?

Just noticed Walmart has 3-4 different priced and type oil filters for our "daily driver" sedans. I usually order filters when I get oil delivered. Its just easier to pick them up when at the store so I decided to check the inventory. From different brands, prices and types. Why would they have different size or capacity filters for the same vehicle? Fram? Supertech, Mobile1 to K&N....? You guys have a preference or reason for certain brands? I have ordered Wix and Amsoil filters, used NAPA, etc... Since I will buy from local store just interested in your choices and ideas or whys? Any conclusions or thought as to why different size / capacity from different makers yet for the same sedan ? I guess if you not comparing or looking around I would not have known how different brands are for some vehicles.
I ended up placing an order from HondaParts.com for a six pack of Honda OEM Filters. They look well made. Will use one in the next week or so. I am finally sending my first UOA sample to Blackstone for wife's 2018 Di turbo. Can't wait to see fuel level in this oil.

I ended up placing an order from HondaParts.com for a six pack of Honda OEM Filters. They look well made. Will use one in the next week or so. I am finally sending my first UOA sample to Blackstone for wife's 2018 Di turbo. Can't wait to see fuel level in this oil.

You did fine.

Try SonsHonda parts and Honda parts now for discounts on OE parts.

You'll probably get A02s, but if you get 003s even better.

Work for Canadian Tire, so I buy Motomaster filters - either the regular ones; or the uplevel ‘OE Plus’ ones when they go on sale. The newest ones seem to now be rated for 15k miles (24k km), so they are a pretty good deal on sale.

I prefer a high efficiency synthetic media filter, which, now that the FRAM Ultra has been cheapened, leaves only a few choices:
AMSOIL EaO
Royal Purple (which seem to be impossible to get in Canada)
Fleetguard Stratopore (limited part #'s)
I'm of a like mind and want a strongly built filter as well. For the Camry that means the Amsoil, RP, or TRD filters. I like their robust gaskets on either end and the metal end caps. If there are other filters that fit those requirements, I'd love to hear about them.

I been using the super tech filters in a couple vehicles. The van has a cartridge filter and it’s always fine looking after. Last one went for 20k miles and still held together np.

I will be using the OEM AC Delco filter for my 2021 GMC Canyon Elevation V6. They don't look bad and the dealer used one on my one free OCI. The service tech said to do OCI's at around 5,000 miles. I'm sure they will be ok for that mileage. BTW I'm using Mobil 1 5-30. It has Delco 5-30 SYN in it now and thats made for GM by Mobile, so that works for me. So with six qts and a filter thats less than $40 for an oil change buying it at Wally World.

Baldwin makes a great filter.

I was comparing the beta ratio's between several brands, & they had the best filtration for both of the vehicles I was looking into.

Every once in a blue moon it pays to bring back an old thread. This is definitely one of them.

My wife uses an EV for local driving and overall that covers about 85% of our miles.

I own a dealership so I find the $20 deals at Firestone and Walmart ($21.99) to be worth doing if I only need to change the oil. Outside of that, I get the oil deals during the year and grab a filter at O'Reilly if other work needs to be done to the vehicle. The repair shop nearby only charges $10 to change the oil but I have them recondition a lot of vehicles.

If it were my daily driver? I tend to heavily favor powertrains that have conventional automatics and engines that are easy on oil. I'm a cruiser at heart. My top choice would be a FRAM Ultra changed every other oil change. If I did a lot of highway driving in the past. So I would keep the OCI at 10k with regular monitoring of fluid levels every time I filled up with gas. That would mean the FRAM Ultra filter would be replaced every 20,000 miles.

Even if I only drove a few thousand miles a year, I would still keep a FRAM Ultra and then replace it every three years or so. I like having 10k maintenance intervals as a mental landmark and since I live in northwest Georgia, the lack of rust would likely allow me to keep my car for 25 years or more. So long as the electronics and parts availability held up.

Back