Oil Filters made in U.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying other countries make a bad oil filter. I want to keep the money home for the American worker.

What "excellent" oil filters are made in the U.S.?

I can't seem to find a thread on this subject.

Thanks.

Good question. Wix should be mostly USA. Most Champ ..but some will be from Mexico. Got me swinging on Purolator. Hastings/Baldwin should be mostly domestic (although they have a fully operated and funded plant in China). Donaldson may or may not be domestic (you can look on line to see where a particular filter is from).

Here's the FL1A/PH8a in Donaldson

A - OD (Inches): 3.66
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4-16
C - Length (Inches): 5.35
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.81
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.42
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 7-10
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: FORD, MOTORCRAFT FL1A
Substitution: P169071=Synthetic Media
Product Group: F

Packaged Dimensions
Country of Origin MX (Mexico)
Gross Length in Inches 5.5
Gross Height in Inches 3.6
Gross Weight in Pounds 1.03
Drawing Version U
Gross Width in Inches 3.6
Pieces Per Pallet 840

Here's the SYNTEQ version of the same filter

A - OD (Inches): 3.67
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4-16
C - Length (Inches): 5.32
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.85
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.47
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 8-11
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: HIGH EFFICIENCY VERSION OF
Primary Application 2: P550008
Application Note: SYNTEQ Media
Product Group: F

Packaged Dimensions
Country of Origin US (United States)
Gross Length in Inches 4
Gross Height in Inches 6.5
Gross Weight in Pounds 1.15
Gross Width in Inches 4
Pieces Per Pallet 54

The AMSOIL Filter. Where are they manufactured? I use SSO and my dealer is stocked. K&N...how 'bout them?

The other you've mentioned I'll take a look at.

Amsoil's EaO are made by Wix and (probably) Donaldson where the numbers make sense. I would suspect them to be all US based. I can't confirm that, since nobody at Amsoil will admit to who the actual manufacture is "officially".

K&N and M1 ..and Royal Purple are Champ Labs ..just like the ST ..although the ST, irrc, has sported the "made in Mexico" notation according to some members. The Ecores should be domestic productions and are limited to cans (last I heard) 3" and larger.

The ST's that I have sitting here (3614) have "product of the USA" in the lot code printed across the dome.

IIRC, I did see the Mexico stamp on a ST filter once but I can't remember which one it was on. Mine all say "Product of the USA" also.

Gary, do you know who makes the smaller ST filters? Under 3" I believe.

Champ makes them all. It's just that the Ecore line (the physical production machinery) is limited (or was) to cans 3" or greater. Anything below is now a "Blue Button". They may have expanded the Ecore to two lines ..but I've seen no evidence that they have.

The 3 ST3614's that I have here are exactly 3" in diameter ..and are all Ecores.

Great, thanks. Mine have the blue button at the bottom like your talking about. Glad to know they are still made by a reputable company. All the ST filters I use now a days are under 3".

the purolator premiums i have bought are made in the u.s.a.
i know because i only buy made in u.s.a. filters also.

Last edited:
I was in town today and bought 2 Wix Filters. On the box "Made in U.S.A." I won't buy made in China for reasons in my opening message.(OP)

Even they were 50 cents to a buck more if made in U.S. I would still buy them.

Hear that Wix?! Don't dare outsource overseas...I use a lot of Wix Filters.

the purolator premiums i have bought are made in the u.s.a.
i know because i only buy made in u.s.a. filters also.

I'll keep that in mind if the store is out of Wix. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Forest

Hear that Wix?! Don't dare outsource overseas...I use a lot of Wix Filters.
Don't buy their Air filters... Made in South Korea

The problem with only wanting USA made filters is that all the filter companies are global companies and have plants around the world. Some just don't have the setups in the USA to produce a particular model of filter or its just too expensive to produce here.

My bro works for a very well known plumping fixture manf. located in the USA. The state (and US Gov't) they are located in has passed so many laws and regulations that it became to expensive too make some of their products or even build a new factory in the USA so they moved those lines to Mexico who welcomed them with open arms.
Quote:
I would suspect them to be all US based. I can't confirm that, since nobody at Amsoil will admit to who the actual manufacture is "officially".

I have EAO oil filters in stock, some are made in USA and others are Made in Mexico. All EAO filters have the country of origin stamped on the closed end.

I have AC Delco, same model filter that is made in USA and Made in Mexico

I have Wix that are made in USA and Made in Poland.

If its made in USA it does not have to say it on the product but if its made out of the USA is MUST.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
My cartridge AC delco filters are made in the USA.

By Hengst, so some of your dollars are going over seas, perhaps more than the labor.

The little factory I once managed had about 3% labor in the product.

fyi.....................

left - new AC Delco ......................................................................................... Right - oem '09 Cadillac 3.6L engine
MVC-007X.jpg

Filter on right after 3,000 miles on Mobil 1
MVC-006X.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back