Oil Filters for Police Package Crown Victorias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I work maintenence for a small city and have recently been placed in charge of oil changes. The changes on these Police Crown Victorias have been done every 3k miles.

I have been browsing this site and have read some pretty good information. I wish to pose a question to the oil filter gurus.

My plan for these vehicles is buying a more premium style oil filter like the Fram Ultra and swap the oil ONLY for 3 oil changes (9k miles) and then the next oil change I would cycle out the filter.

These cars have been using 5-20w dino-oil for their life. The highest mileage vehicle is 118k miles. Is my plan plausible? Just swap out for a premium filter and just cycle out the oil for 3 oil changes and then replacing the filter?

Please bear in mind that these vehicles are put through the ringer during the Officers shifts. They idle for long periods of time and generally driven extremely hard.

Opinions welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd hate to be caught doing something non-standard in maintenance for public safety equipment. Not that it would be at fault, but that it would raise eyebrows if something completely unrelated failed.

I'd go with MC filters every change.

I have read that the premium filters should last around 10k or so miles on this forum. That is why I am asking.

The city wants to save as much money as possible so I am trying to cut costs yet still give the cars ample protection from the oil standpoint.

So off the top of my head a Fram Ultra for 9 bucks and a 5 quart jug+1 quart of mobil 1 oil should average around 30 bucks rather than the 55 dollars at the shop we were taking the cars to.

Originally Posted By: Bobbert
I have read that the premium filters should last around 10k or so miles on this forum. That is why I am asking.

The city wants to save as much money as possible so I am trying to cut costs yet still give the cars ample protection from the oil standpoint.

So off the top of my head a Fram Ultra for 9 bucks and a 5 quart jug+1 quart of mobil 1 oil should average around 30 bucks rather than the 55 dollars at the shop we were taking the cars to.

Mobil 1 and a fran ultra is a waste at 3k. You can easily double that to 6k without a problem.

While your reasoning is probably fine, the committee that oversees your actions probably won't understand it when there is a blown engine at 50K miles or even 150K miles. Of course, when they look at your maintenance records, you will be at fault for not changing the oil filter. All it takes is one person on the city's board who changes his oil every 3K miles at Quickie Lube who will find you at fault.
If you do extend the maintenance interval, you better get prior approval. Also remember that they idle for extended periods, so they are probably classified as extreme or severe service.
If it was me, I'd just get the Motorcraft filters. When one of these cars has an engine problem, all you have to say is that these filters are good enough for Ford. Will your city allow you to buy them from WM? While probably not entirely the best filter on the market, they are cheap enough and they have the factory backing, something to consider when people start pointing fingers.
I personally think your plan is okay otherwise.

I'd stick to the Motorcraft filter and whatever reasonably priced conventional you can find for the severe service interval. For taxi service, we stuck to the Motorcraft on the Town Cars. What's the severe service interval on your CVs?

I would change the oil and filter at the same time. They won't understand your efforts of trying to save money.

Look on RockAuto to see the prices on some filters, then get back to us to see if they are any good.

You're going to change the filter every 3,000 and oil every 9,000? Are you crazy? i'm surprised they even go by miles. They don't shut those vehicles off the entire shift. The police vehicles have hour meters on them and should be changed every 200hrs.

If you give them 5% this year they'll want another 5% next year. It'll be like supplying walmart.

If you really want to make a business case for cheapening out on OCIs, get an analysis done and have the lab clear you for going longer than 3k on an oil+filter combo. Then have the city council formally approve your plan and con them into buying a huge tank of oil and pallet of filters because "the formula could change".

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You're going to change the filter every 3,000 and oil every 9,000? Are you crazy?

You've got it backwards.

Looks like I will be purchasing Purolator Classic or Fram Tough Guard (whichever is available) and Mobil 1 oil and extend the change intervals to 5k miles.

They were supposed to be changed every 3k miles but some went on for 6-7k miles before a change because the officers didnt want to do without their favorite car for a day or so.

Now I am charged with having them changed "on time".

Thanks guys!

I think you should head for the real cost savings, the OCI. No proof extended idle time and hard driving is a problem to a modern engine, modern oil without a couple of test UOA's.

If your worried about the regime, use 5k by the book OCI's. 3k may have been set in place back in the stone ages of engines and oil, perpetuated year after year disregarding changing manufacturer specs. You would get kudos from the regime for saving money and being environmentally friendly. Then use the Ultra twice if you like. Or just order a MC or P1 in bulk from somewhere like Amazon with Free shipping.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you give them 5% this year they'll want another 5% next year. It'll be like supplying walmart.

If you really want to make a business case for cheapening out on OCIs, get an analysis done and have the lab clear you for going longer than 3k on an oil+filter combo. Then have the city council formally approve your plan and con them into buying a huge tank of oil and pallet of filters because "the formula could change".

+1; having the mfg recommendations for OCI would be helpful. Then the council will be wondering why the they were doing the old way at all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I am the RF Overlord and I approve of this answer.
grin2.gif

Seriously, while I applaud your intentions, 98% of the people have no clue about oil and filtration and most still believe if you don't change the oil every 3,000 miles your engine will immediately disintegrate. As Kruse said, they would then holler "incompetent maintenance" when something went wrong and guess who would be the scapegoat?

OTOH, if you can get them to agree to el jefino's plan, you will be a hero when they see how much money they are saving and how green they will be able to say they are. When it comes to petty functionaries city councils, looking good in front of their constituents is all that matters, and if some of that glory shines on you, all the better.

Unless your paying for the oil and filter out of your pocket, stick with the 3K oil change with new filter, good intentions but when an oil related failure happens you'll be on the hotseat, as was stated before somebody will want some answers and records, cover your 6
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Bobbert
Looks like I will be purchasing Purolator Classic or Fram Tough Guard (whichever is available) and Mobil 1 oil and extend the change intervals to 5k miles.

Perhaps a little overkill, but sensible in all. I still have a major fear of non Motorcraft filters in these applications due to some of what I've seen. That being said, the disasters I've seen weren't Frams or Purolator Classics, either. The Wix would be another good option if you can find them at an appropriate price. From what I understand, you guys get MC filters at Walmart; perhaps you can find a good deal there.

I'm sorry that I can't offer you much information on extending OCIs in the platform. My fleet experience was mostly with propane, which has zero fuel dilution issues. There, with taxi service, it was 6,000 mile OCIs on conventional. The switch to the Town Car platform with gasoline was near the end of my fleet management, and we were going roughly 5,000 miles. I'd ask my brother what he did with his last Town Car for its OCI, but he's an idiot.
wink.gif

I'm not sure if they're exactly the same, particularly with respect to thread end versus dome end bypass. Then again, getting an actual Purolator Classic up here is next to impossible, so I can't actually physically look. I believe there is some relevant Ford brochure in that respect, but I don't have a copy with me right now.

"The Wix would be another good option if you can find them at an appropriate price."

I had a startup knock with Wix filters on my old 4.6 GMQ. Changed back to the FL820S with no noise after that. I would highly recommend using the Motorcraft filters with a bulk oil of quality avaliable at the best price. MC filters can also be purchased in bulk most likely at a better price than single quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back