Oil filters for lawn mower engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pick a good quality oil filter from the auto parts store but make sure you pick a filter that flows in the right direction.

Since B&S says change filter at 50 hours, I just go to Home Depot and buy a B&S filter. Thay way there is no guessing as to type or different pressure settings etc.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
Just pick a good quality oil filter from the auto parts store but make sure you pick a filter that flows in the right direction.
dont all oil filters flow outside to center hole?

I use decent quality (but not top quality) automotive filters on my OPE. The OPE OEMs charge too much for their branded filters. I have a Motorcraft FL-910S on my Kohler engined tractor, but I've used OCODs and Delcos in the past, depending on what's on sale when I need it.

Any auto filter will do fine. Bypass pressures aren't relevant, you're not mowing grass in subzero weather and the flow isn't high enough to generate that much backpressure anyway.

Agreed, filters flow outside to inside.

I just use a PH3614 on my Kohler 20HP. Was using the factory filters but they were getting to be upwards of $13-$14 and the Fram is about $3 ... been using it a few years and changing it once a year, no issues
smile.gif

I see that k&n offers oil filters for lawn mower engines. I've never opened one up,and compared another brand oil filter t a k&n. Dirt destroys engines,and I want to use an oil filter that filtrates the very best.

Last edited:
Like some above, I use a regular car filter in the appropriate size & thread for my Briggs V-Twin, whatever cross references to an AC PF53, Fram PH3614, Wix 51348(?), & I forget the Purolator number. It works fine, don't sweat it.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I see that k&n offers oil filters for lawn mower engines. I've never opened one up,and compared another brand oil filter t a k&n. Dirt destroys engines,and I want to use an oil filter that filtrates the very best.

Air Filter! Service your air filter often, check it & the intake for any unfiltered leaks, & do it religiously. If your engine doesn't have an oiled foam sleeve/panel/prefilter, figure out a way to install one. After all, the air filter/intake is where all the dirt gets in!

Originally Posted By: UncleS2

Air Filter! Service your air filter often, check it & the intake for any unfiltered leaks, & do it religiously. If your engine doesn't have an oiled foam sleeve/panel/prefilter, figure out a way to install one. After all, the air filter/intake is where all the dirt gets in!

Yes, I agree 100% !!

By the specs it would seem a Fram Tough Guard would be best for you then. 99% rated efficiency at 20 microns and a little cheaper than their Ultra line of filter.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultras

FRAMites
crazy.gif

The answer to every question...

What do you want for breakfast this morning?

FRAM Ultra

You can check with NAPA or Wix and find some great filters cross-referenced to your factory B&S.

FRAM or Champion (same company) may already make your factory filter.

My Kohler OEM filter is built by those guys with the latest filters being ECores.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultras

FRAMites
crazy.gif

The answer to every question...

What do you want for breakfast this morning?

FRAM Ultra

Please stop being so disrespectful to everyone who like Ultras.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You can check with NAPA or Wix and find some great filters cross-referenced to your factory B&S.

FRAM or Champion (same company) may already make your factory filter.

My Kohler OEM filter is built by those guys with the latest filters being ECores.

^^^This. Using Napa Gold 1348 (3614/10241 equavalent) on a Kohler, obtained for ~$3.65 at semiannual 40% off sale. Which just happens to be coming up end of the month at my local Napa. Can't be beat imo and all you need.

Pass for me on the now yellow Kohler ecore, and overpriced.

There is no "best"; don't get snookered into thinking there is. But there are many decent ones.
Just about any brand you'd recognize will do a fine job.
OPE isn't known for being finicky, nor has any lifespan worth paying anything more than for a moderate filter; using the "best" isn't going to make it last 1 hour longer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back