Oil filters for H-D Twin-Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping to avert another disastrous thread like the last one, may we have a civil discussion on the topic without getting into another multi-page bashing of the MoCo and Harley owners? I've been using the recommended H-D #63731-99A (black) but would like to explore other options. BTW, my cost was $11.76 out-the-door...too much for what you're getting, IMO. The chromed version is pushing $17.00 at my local dealership.
mad.gif
Outrageous!

Was at a WM last night briskly going through the oil section and saw some motorcyle oil filters there. Since I don't have a bike, I paid absolutely no attention to it, however. What does WM carry for motorcycle filters, Fram?

You might have some luck with your local independent shop. That's if you don't mind using a K & N, perform, or a revtech filter.

Most independent shops will sell below retail if it will keep the customer from going to the dealership.

If you are Ok with ignoring the factory filtration and bypass pressure specs....use a Supertech filter.

You might try Zanotti HD or Chicago HD on line as well

Last edited:
SuperTech ST 3614...or ST 3600, if you can use a longer one, these are black. The same numbers in STP filters are blue. Baldwin BT 223 is red orange. ACDelco PF 53, probably blue, I haven't looked at that particular filter. I've cross referenced a Motorcraft FL 793, probably a white filter. These filters are usually in the $2.50 to $5.00 range. Oh, and a Wix 51215 cross references as well.

Champion labs makes H-D oil filters and Super tech oil filters ,, there tech said there are both equal and the super tech oil filter is as good as the High dollar H-D filter.. same micron rating and bypass..

Other options in syn media include Amsoil, K&N Power Sport, and Perf-Form but they are as expensive as HD. All good filters. For nominal 20 micron paper filters Wix (and NAPA), Bosch, and Super Tech, Purolator (ML) and otheres are available at a lower prices. Some use Pure Ones and Mobil 1 (102) but some have had flow issues especially on Evos. Both Purolator and Champ (M1) tech reps have said those filters are not for use on HDs. The HD Super Premium 5 filter is actually one of the few HD items that I sometimes buy. I can get black at the annual local winter sale for about $8.00 each. Most people prefer good filtration efficiency on the TC engine. Evos seem to do fine on 20 micron. Spending $10 to $15 dollars on a filter gets emotional but spread that out over the 6 months that it will be used and ask how much is it really hurting you.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Spending $10 to $15 dollars on a filter gets emotional but spread that out over the 6 months that it will be used and ask how much is it really hurting you.

+1

You paid around $20k for the bike. The price of of an oil filter shouldn't be hurting your piggy bank that bad.
wink.gif

Yep, I've been running the SuperTech filters on my 97 Evo. Back in 1996, I found by curiosity that the Fram PH3614 I had bought for a 87 Toyota 4x4 pickup fit on my 96 Sportster ... so I started researching the specs and found that they had the same ratings ... then I got my black 97 Road King and I thought that orange can would look good against a black and chrome engine so yep, I used a Fram filter a couple of times before learning of their construction.

Anyway, If you can get the same or better filtration for less money then why spend more for a filter than is necessary? ... Unless you prefer chrome, and then I'd still buy aftermarket for less money. Heck, if you use synthetic oil, either become an Amsoil dealer (I did) or get on their preferred customer list and buy their excellent filters and oil for less than what Harley sells their lesser quality but higher priced stuff for. I'd rather pay Amsoil retail prices and get better product before buying the way over priced Citgo and Champion Lab products that Harley sells. Harley's micron rating thing is just quoting certain specs without all the details which is no more than marketing designed to sell "their" filters. Put the money you save in gas, oil, tires, etc.

Yep, I'm an Amsoil dealer and I use a SuperTech oil filter on my Harley. Why? .. because of the cost to benefit ratio in my circumstances. If I was running 10K or more miles a year or if I had a larger bore engine or a hot running twin cam engine, I'd be using Amsoil oil. Since my engine is basically stock and I now only get to put around 5K a year on my bike, it's more cost/benefit effective to use mineral oil and change it twice a year...actually, I'm running a ARX treatment at present...love my Evo engine!

I just bend over and get the Genuine Harley CHROME oil filter. The Twin Cam motors have a bit more oil pressure than their predecessors but I can't get that vision of low oil pressure out of my little head.... and so I just get the HD filter.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
I just bend over and get the Genuine Harley CHROME oil filter. The Twin Cam motors have a bit more oil pressure than their predecessors but I can't get that vision of low oil pressure out of my little head.... and so I just get the HD filter.

+2 and the TC engines use very small oil jets to cool the pistons so I am sticking with the HD filter. I usually buy several when I have an online parts order from Zanotti HD so the shipping is minimal. I still have one left that I paid about $10 for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back