Oil Filters Being Compared

It is better than the first one.

Disregarding efficiency because it was too difficult is also lame. How about awarding points to manufacturers who actually publish an efficiency @ micron under ISO 4548-12, and a big fat zero to those that don't.
I was reading some where on BITOG that 'great' efficiency is really only an issue on high mileage filters (10k miles + etc). If you change after 3-5k it wasn't as much a factor for protection.

I was reading some where on BITOG that 'great' efficiency is really only an issue on high mileage filters (10k miles + etc). If you change after 3-5k it wasn't as much a factor for protection.

Are you sure you got the takeaway right on what you were reading? Can you find and link it?

I'd argue great efficiency doesn't really matter, you'll never see a difference over the life of the engine on a typical vehicle. It is important to some though.

A filter can only hold so much "dirt" (capacity), the more "dirt" it traps (efficiency), the faster it fills up. This has been put forward as an idea about why Honda specs a lower efficiency media in their factory filters, since they run a filter 2 OCI it cannot fill past capacity. Doesn't explain why Toyota does it though.

If someone places a high value on efficiency, I don't think the OCI should change that focus.

Are you sure you got the takeaway right on what you were reading? Can you find and link it?

I'd argue great efficiency doesn't really matter, you'll never see a difference over the life of the engine on a typical vehicle. It is important to some though.

A filter can only hold so much "dirt" (capacity), the more "dirt" it traps (efficiency), the faster it fills up. This has been put forward as an idea about why Honda specs a lower efficiency media in their factory filters, since they run a filter 2 OCI it cannot fill past capacity. Doesn't explain why Toyota does it though.

If someone places a high value on efficiency, I don't think the OCI should change that focus.
Well from what I read (I might be wrong) it was the amount of time the smaller particles (5-10 micron) were in the oil which led to the most wear. So, a shorter OCI would remove these smaller particles more often than a long (10k+) OCI. Hence, having a more efficient filter for longer OCI would be advantageous. I am talking about high mileage aftermarket full synthetic oil filters as well and we know we can have both great efficiency and capacity.

Extended Drains​

If you've done the math (cost/benefit analysis) and believe your car, driving habits and climate conditions make your car the perfect candidate for extended oil drains, synthetics give you the best shot and a safety margin to boot.

But a healthy oil with long service life is not the same thing as a clean oil. Synthetics provide no compensating protection for dirt. The longer an oil stays in service, the higher the concentration of small particles that grow in population because they travel right through the pores of the filter media unrestricted.

Last edited:
Well from what I read (I might be wrong) it was the amount of time the smaller particles (5-10 micron) were in the oil which led to the most wear. So, a shorter OCI would remove these smaller particles more often than a long (10k+) OCI. Hence, having a more efficient filter for longer OCI would be advantageous. I am talking about high mileage aftermarket full synthetic oil filters as well and we know we can have both great efficiency and capacity.

Extended Drains​

If you've done the math (cost/benefit analysis) and believe your car, driving habits and climate conditions make your car the perfect candidate for extended oil drains, synthetics give you the best shot and a safety margin to boot.

But a healthy oil with long service life is not the same thing as a clean oil. Synthetics provide no compensating protection for dirt. The longer an oil stays in service, the higher the concentration of small particles that grow in population because they travel right through the pores of the filter media unrestricted.

I'll give those a read later, id point out right off the bat though that the author of the oil filter article is "Noria Corporation" and I believe you will find that this is the originator of the Microgreen filter and might have some bias in the conversation.

True ... but from a "purist" point of view (which many here have), it certainly can't hurt to run a high efficiency oil filter regardless if the OCI is relatively short ... the only drawback of course is the cost of the filter. And if someone says "but you lose oil flow with a more efficient oil filter" then they just don't understand modern oil filter design or how an engine oiling system works.

IMO, it would be better to run a high efficiency, long OCI rated full synthetic filter (like an Ultra or similar) for 2x (or even 3x if the engine is clean) 5000 mile OCIs then to change the filter every time with a much less efficient filter. Doing that also cuts the cost of the filter per OCI.

Back