Oil Filter Wrench Used........

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a very rare occasion when i have had to use any type of filter wrench on my oil filters. They have always been accessible and for the most part on only hand tight.

What about you guys?

Do you use one a wrench because you have to or because you want to?

What kind do you use? Cup, strap or chain style?

I use a cup style filter wrench on my 3 because I need to torque the plastic filter cartridge on it to 22ft/lb.

End cap.

While most of the vehicles I service have very easy filter mounting, I still screw them on pretty tight (34-1 full rev AFTER the gasket makes contact) so I have no problems ever..

Bill

Cup style.

Just be sure you lube that gasket with some oil. Otherwise you will have an afternoon of fighting it to get it off.

Snug with a small rachet is good enough. Not too tight as that just makes life difficult later.

I USE A LARGE PAIR OF CHANNEL LOCK PLIERS WHEN OIL FILTERS ARE STUBBORN. WORKS BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE IVE TRIED.

Don't forget to answer if you have to use a wrench or want to use one because of things such as; hot filter, no space, too tight etc.....

Nobody else goes straight to pounding a flathead screwdriver through the filter and uses that to turn them off?

Really, by hand or with the cup. I have the metal strap and hate it, and a rubber strap for plumbing I've never tried but would probably work well.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Nobody else goes straight to pounding a flathead screwdriver through the filter and uses that to turn them off?

Yes I have done that. Too cheap to buy something.

End cap (cup), or failing that, a "shark-toothed" oil filter pliers to remove. I can't get my hands around two of the three to get them on or off by hand. Too much stuff in the way.
End cap to put them on.
I also have a nylon strap wrench which works good to put on motorcraft type without the normal fluted end. It doesn't mar up the paint.

I find that I have to on any filter I deal with. Even if location is OK, with minimal interfering stuff, I change oil hot, so the filter is usually hot when I get to it.

I also install the filter to the right amount of turning per the instructions - usually 3/4-1 turn. Even with an oiled/greased after 5-10k miles, it isnt coming off without some help from a tool that provides grip and leverage.

I prefer the end cap type, but so many filters are so many diameters, that I also keep a universal type with the metal strap that tightens on itself also.

Though I have end caps, strap and band types that I've collected/used over the years, I prefer the cap style. Usually it's easiest to access the filter with a cap style. Though, sometimes they can be tricky to get the cap off the filter if the get stuck.

I now have filters with textured grip (not the ocd) on them which makes hand tightening a breeze, after gasket contact. Without it, about a 3/4 after turn after gasket contact with end cap on wrench. End cap wrench needed to remove all filters though.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
...a cup type with a paper towel over the filter to make it grip.

Ya. That helps. I have to do that too.
Piece of sandpaper with grit side to the filter works good on slipping wrenches when it's really tight.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
... I have to use a cup type with a paper towel over the filter to make it grip.

Great idea, I'll try it the next time
10.gif

Indeed. It takes up the gap between the sloppy fit of the cap wrench and the filter so it doesn't ride over the flutes on the can.

If I can't break it loose by hand, I like using the adjustable plier type filter wrench. They adapt to nearly any size filter easily and are usually small/short enough you can fit them in anywhere. I install filters hand tight.

I have a strap style filter wrench, but I almost never need it. I only put my filters on snug by hand, and they always come off fine with just my bare hands, and they never leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back