Oil Filter. What filter to use with synthetic oil. Generic or filters made for synthetic oil? Thanks

Any filter will work, you know whether you buy the cheapest conventional or an expensive full synthetic change at a quick lube place they'll use the same cheap "universal" filter. Most of the synthetic media filters are complete overkill for the OCIs most people run.

What filter to use with synthetic oil. Generic or filters made for synthetic oil? Thanks
Either is fine. Choice depends on your intended OCI, and if you are willing to run a synthetic, higher mileage filter for a multiple OCIs.

[insert debate on filtering efficiency here]

OP, can you provide some additional details? Vehicle make and model, the brand of oil you plan on using and weight? How long your OCI will be and if you will use the filter as a single use or multiple OCI's are really major decisions to choose a filter.

Screw that! I want 100% organic, vegan motor oil and 100% organic, vegan oil filters. I don't want any artificial :poop: going through my body or my car's engine!!!
Cellulose does grow on trees… Maybe some old school castor based Castrol in the crankcase? Guess all conventional was organic/vegan a few million years ago!

Dinosaur's ate grass. Dinosaurs died. Dinosaur's turned into organic material. Organic material turned into crude oil. So crude oil "is" organic.

Actually, oil doesn't come from dinosaurs. It comes from tiny sea animals and plants.
In your defense, however, the dinosaurs were organic, we are organic, the green beans the farmer poured bug poison on is organic. It's a misappropriated word that has nothing to do with pesticide or manufactured fertilizer free.

OP, can you provide some additional details? Vehicle make and model, the brand of oil you plan on using and weight? How long your OCI will be and if you will use the filter as a single use or multiple OCI's are really major decisions to choose a filter.
The car is a 2018 Honda Civic with the 1.5 Turbo with the oil delusion issue. The first 3 years the oil changes,for warranty were done at the dealer. They used 0W20 synthetic and their generic filter. I plan on using Pennzoil full synthetic 0W20 like I have used in my other vehicle. I usually do my own changes but I couldn't get the underside shield off as the front screws were in rust tight and a few of the side clips were in crocked. I took it in and told them about the underside shield issue I was having. I gave them a bottle I got from Blackstone to send to them a sample for analysis. After less than an hour I was given my sample back but the plastic sample bottle felt like room temperature. I thought it should have been a bit warm. I used a WIX generic filter in my other vehicle. Thought maybe the synthetic recommended filter would have a different paper filament. The oil change is about 3500 KM and 9 months between changes.
Thanks

At just 3500km, a standard Wix will be fine.

What he said! Wix or any other filter out there should be more than capable of meeting 3500km OCI. IMHO 2200 mile OCI is a waste of even the cheapest oil you can find. If it were mine, I'd say stick with the Wix filter and give it a 7500km run with Super Tech 5-30 and have a UOA done. I betcha the Civic would be a ok handling that OCI.

What filter to use with synthetic oil. Generic or filters made for synthetic oil? Thanks
The reason some filters say they are "for use with synthetic oil" is because the filters are rated for a long OCI like most synthetic oil is. For instance, you don't want to use a filter rated for 5K miles when doing 10K OCIs with synthetic oil. Instead, you'd want a filter rated for a 10K run, or change out the filter half way through the OCI.

The reason some filters say they are "for use with synthetic oil" is because the filters are rated for a long OCI like most synthetic oil is. For instance, you don't want to use a filter rated for 5K miles when doing 10K OCIs with synthetic oil. Instead, you'd want a filter rated for a 10K run, or change out the filter half way through the OCI.
This right here ^

If you plan to go full distance with synthetic oil (10k+ miles), use a filter designed for longer service intervals... might say "synthetic" or "premium" or the like, but every oil filter is rated for a certain interval. For those who throw away good synthetic oil every 3k miles, you can use any filter you like and it won't really matter.

Any kind of oil filter media type can be used with any kind of oil but you would typically go for a syn or syn blend filter because they can usually trap more and can be used twice as long compared to cheaper filters. Reason being that synthetic oil is usually used for doing longer intervals and to keep contamination or silicon content low through a longer interval you'd usually have to use a better oil filter to go along with it. I say usually and typically a lot because they don't apply as much anymore as the times have moved on.

I run fram orange cans since 95.7% efficiency at 20um is fine enough and theyre under $4.

Back then even 10-20 years ago oil filters sucked. Most would filter to around what 50% or less at 20um and i did understand why engines having more frequent oil changes helped. The air filters also weren't great and allowed more to pass through and the oil filter didn't capture as much so your oil would gradually get a lot more abrasive which would wear an engine out faster. Not so much from oil breaking down over 3k or the filter clogging up. it just didn't filter enough.

But that's not really the case anymore. Cheap filters at a nearby store do at least 30um at 99% which is acceptable while frams orange can does better and syn blend oils like diesel grades can do 10k so you don't need synthetic filters or full syn oil to go long. Those cheap $1-2 white can filters do around 40um at 99% so not great.

Also a member since jan 2006 but only 30 messages?

Cellulose does grow on trees… Maybe some old school castor based Castrol in the crankcase? Guess all conventional was organic/vegan a few million years ago!
I would JUST LOVE to smell Bel-Ray bean oil out of a two stroke again. I miss that smell. Is it still being made? I will buy it and pour it in my Honda 4 stroke just to smell it again. :giggle:

Back