Oil filter warranty and claim in the case of .....

Have you ever heard about someone having to take a filter company to court in order to back you up because a car manufacturer was refusing to honor their warranty on a blown up engine alleging of an aftermarket defective filter or inappropriate selection or error in the listinfg of the filter use ?

so Have you ever .......

No, car manufacturers have never denied a warranty on a blown up engine because of a defective aftermarket oil filter.
Maybe put another way,
You have a better chance of being hit by lighting walking out the front door of your home. ;) and a million other things have the potential to go far worse wrong in your life.

No, car manufacturers have never denied a warranty on a blown up engine because of a defective aftermarket oil filter.

Not so sure about that. I believe the car manufacturer can tell the customer to go after the aftermarket filter maker's warranty to cover the blown engine. I don't see the logic on why a car manufacture should cover a blown engine if the aftermarket filter was found to be the cause. This has been discussed before, and I can't find the thread with the info posted, but it made it pretty clear that what I just said above would become the case if an aftermarket filter was found to be the cause.

Not so sure about that. I believe the car manufacturer can tell the customer to go after the aftermarket filter maker's warranty to cover the blown engine. I don't see the logic on why a car manufacture should cover a blown engine if the aftermarket filter was found to be the cause. This has been discussed before, and I can't find the thread with the info posted, but it made it pretty clear that what I just said above would become the case if an aftermarket filter was found to be the cause.

The reason I posted what I did is simply this, oil filters blowing engines and the manufacturer blaming it on the oil filter and denying a warranty is less common then a lighting strike hitting someone.
More of less, Im trying to reassure the OP that he/she doesnt even have to give it a thought because its so rare, if at all, that you would have to scour every bit of the internet in this nation of 350,000,000 million people to try to find some examples.
We could then go on, to scour every non OEM vehicle part that is installed in a vehicle including the battery to see if their are claims for other items, oh and what about defective oil too?
Chances are much better, sadly in life, chances are more great that you know of someone who experienced something far worse in their life and know no one that was ever denied a warranty claim because of an oil filter. :rolleyes:

My comment was focused on your comment of " No, car manufacturers have never denied a warranty on a blown up engine because of a defective aftermarket oil filter. "

I agree, it's a very rare occasion and not much to worry about, but I'm sure there have been some rare cases where it has happened. I'd bet it's not "never".

Last edited:
My comment was focused on your comment of " No, car manufacturers have never denied a warranty on a blown up engine because of a defective aftermarket oil filter. "

I agree, it's a very rare occasion and not much to worry about, but I'm sure there have been some rare cases where it has happened. I'd bet it's not "never".

It is definitely not "never". There have even been entire service bulletins dedicated to how and when to deny warranty based on aftermarket filter damage.

Back