oil filter tightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wipe off old oil from filter base plate on engine, smear a LIGHT coating of motor oil on the new filter o'ring, hand turn until the filter is snug tight (not over doing it), then go another 1/4 turn. I never had a problem with it being loose or removing it.

Don't most filters say oil the gasket and then tighten 2/3 or 3/4 of a turn after the gasket contacts the base plate? Has anybody had trouble after following the directions? Duh? I never have, although I must admit I may not quite make the 2/3 by hand sometimes and call it good enough. I have tried taking them off by hand, but it is easier and quicker to grab my 16'' Channellocks. Great tool, 1,000 other uses a filter wrench would never manage.

Hand tight. Most manufacturers say 3/4 turns after the gasket contacts the block. I honestly have no idea when that happens, and I am sure hand tight is more than that specified.

I always feel contact, then turn another 3/4 to maybe 1 full turn. Every week when I check the oil, I always feel around the gasket for leaks (never have any) and make sure I can still turn the filter a little bit by hand. Have been doing that ever since the time it took me until 3 or 4 in the morning to get a filter to budge.

Rather than getting a hand cramp installing from an awkward position, I use a strap wrench. That's what tools are for! Once it contacts the base (I have no trouble telling when that happens), I simply follow directions and tighten it to specification, usually 3/4 turn. I see no ambiguity in this procedure.

I like to lightly butter the rubber gasket on the oil filter with silicone. This makes installation and removal a breeze.

cool i just wanted to make sure that most people did it the same way i do.id hate to have on ecome loose and fly off on me.even if the engine didnt blow up before i realized i have no oil pressure it would still make a big mess

Even at hand tight, the most you'll probably get is a slow leak. When a filter flies off suddenly, there was a much greater problem than just the tightness. I just don't like oil all over the underside of my truck and on my driveway, so I give it an extra 1/4 turn to keep leaks at bay.

Tighten with a breaker bar until the nipple's threads strip. Then stop just short thereafter on the replacement nipple. What is it about "hand tighten" people can't grasp? (yeah, there's a pun there)

Hand tight is good for most filters. However hand tighten is relative to the tighteners hand.

I usually follow the instructions on my filter box to tighten 3/4 of 1 turn after gasket contacts base. I've tested and my "hand tight" is approx 1/2 to 5/8 turn after filter contact base. Likely plenty good, with no leaks. I do need a wrench to get it off though, regardless of installation method.

I use a cap-style wrench on my socket drive and never have a problem with removal.

I also use mechanics surgical gloves i bought at pep-boys. It's nice to finish the oil change, take the gloves off and my hands are still nice and clean. They also help a great deal with grabbing a hot filter.

What often limits me on the 'hand tightening' is I've owned a few cars that had oil filters in very unfortunate locations....a cap wrench was needed to get it to a legitimate 'hand tight'.

I bought a set of mechanic's gloves at Pep Boys for my last oil change....rubber palms and a stretchy-mesh on the back side. Nice for grabbing (and tightening) slippery oil filters. I did get some oil on the mesh, which quickly soaked in, but I washed them in the sink and hung to dry...good as new...too bad they're not rubberized all over.

For the cans, hand tighten, typically 1/2-3/4 turn after contact. For the cartridge types, the tightening torque is often embossed on the canister. I suspect most dealers are using the five-digit torque wrench on those, too.

These aren't seeing high PSIs as hydraulic systems go, so there's no need to make it into rocket science. But for those who must, I suggest a torque angle gauge at exactly 304 degrees.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Tighten with a breaker bar until the nipple's threads strip. Then stop just short thereafter on the replacement nipple. What is it about "hand tighten" people can't grasp? (yeah, there's a pun there)

I thought it was "tighten until it gets loose, then back off 1/4 turn"
grin.gif

Seriously, what's wrong with the instructions on the box? I don't understand what's so hard about following them...

realdeal, I get the impression you're a novice. Don't be afraid to have some confidence in yourself. You'll probably do a much better job than some oil jockey at a quicky lube place. Search "jiffy lube" and you'll get hours of reading some horror stories.

i probably over-tighten. 3/4 of a turn after the gasket makes contact with the block just doesnt feel secure to me. so, for peace of mind i just hand tighten until it feels snug.

Forget about oil filter..how about drain plug...
Holy c r a p.. my friends was air wrenched on so tight, I had to bang on the rachet with a hammer just to losen it.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Don't most filters say oil the gasket and then tighten 2/3 or 3/4 of a turn after the gasket contacts the base plate? Has anybody had trouble after following the directions? Duh? I never have, although I must admit I may not quite make the 2/3 by hand sometimes and call it good enough. I have tried taking them off by hand, but it is easier and quicker to grab my 16'' Channellocks. Great tool, 1,000 other uses a filter wrench would never manage.

Thats pretty much what I do, just to contact than 2/3 further (3/4 if it was an easy 2/3). I have a little piece of cushion gum I use for traction when taking them off by hand...

3/4 turn for me (after the filter first contacts the base). I use a smooth filter wrench to tighten 'cause I don't have the hand strength I used to. Just make sure your wrench doesn't gouge into the filter while tightening.

Well, just how tight is "hand tight"?
dunno.gif
Not everyone has the same strength, so the manufacturers use "turn __ turn after gasket contact" instructions. I just changed my oil a few minutes ago, used a Texaco Havoline T-35 filter(appears to be a restenciled Purolator Premium Plus L14670). The instructions on the box said to tighten 3/4 to 1 turn after gasket contact- so I went one full turn , & used the old reliable hinged Lisle strap wrench for the last 1/2 turn.

Of course, your decision may vary.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back