oil filter tightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a jillion oil changes.
Make sure the surface is clean, and the old gasket isn't stuck there.
Lightly oil the new filter on the gasket area, then tighten it down 3/4 turn past contact.

how tight does everybody put there filter on.i always tighten mine as much as i can bare handed and call it good.is that enough.i always need a wrench to get them off though.i guess the rubber gasket kind of melts to the block

I always put mine on hand tight, then use a filter wrench to go 1/4 turn more. Never had an issue removing. Nissan put my filter on at the factory so tight, my wrench put a dent and twisted the filter case before it broke free. Now THATS overkill.

quote:

Originally posted by therealdeal770:
how tight does everybody put there filter on.i always tighten mine as much as i can bare handed and call it good.is that enough.i always need a wrench to get them off though.i guess the rubber gasket kind of melts to the block

Hand-tighten .. then use the wrench for another 1/4 turn. Been doing this for years. Even reuse the same filters after draining the old contents & never had any gasket leaks if you wipe down both seals before reinstalling.

Is it really necessarry to fill the oil filter with oil before putting it on. MY Mechanic says that in the 30+ years he's been chaning oil, he has never done that and never had a car witha problem as a result.

While I wouldn't expect a mechanic to ever do it, I'll prefill filters if they won't leak in putting them on. I only do it because I hate seeing the oil light on any longer than necessary.

But unless you have a gigantic filter, it really makes very little if any real difference.

Just hand tighten it with one hand.

You should be able to remove it when warm during the next oil change.

Tighter doesn't mean better.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

You should be able to remove it when warm during the next oil change.

That makes me feel better, b/c my last change on my Mom's car was with the engine cold and the filter was hard as **** to remove. I've never had that problem when removing my hand-tightened filters before, but this was probably my first change on a cold engine.

Who said it was necessary? If my car has a vertically-placed filter, I fill it up before putting it on, but not doing so will only cause a dry startup after the oil change. That clattering gets on my nerves, so I take steps to minimize it....but it's not 'necessary'.

ONe of my cars has a vertically mounted filter
and my moms as well. With both I never fill the oil filter with oil, and never hear that clattering sound you describe from a dry startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back