Oil Filter Springs and their exact role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Looking at a comparison in Oil Filters between the Fleetguard and the Baldwin Oil filters. Upon first thing, I notice that the Baldwin Spring is so tight it popped the Baseplate off the top after I cut it. Fleetguard spring was more "relaxed".
Based upon the spring and the functions of the spring. Which is better? I stiff spring with a lot of force or a regular spring that is less stiff?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The spring is just there to keep the internals in place. As long as a filter doesn't rattle when you shake it, it'll be OK.

+1

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I thought that the spring controlled the bypass pressure.....

Nope ... bypass valves have their own spring that is to control the bypass valve only.

oilfilterflow.jpg

Looking at this link if you look where the oil enters in the Filter Media via the 2 arrows it enters in the 7 or 8 hole "Base Gasket/Flange". Under the Flange there is a rubber drainback valve. The spring is so tight I don't see how oil freely enters in the filter cause the rubber piece is so tight up against the flange cause of the spring pushing everything up.

Any thoughts?

^^^ As noted by others, the dome retainer spring (in this case coil type as opposed to leaf type) simply holds the element firmly in place. That includes holding the silicone or nitrile/rubber adbv firmly against the base plate/tapping plate.

The adbv functions as a one way check valve, when oil pressure is applied to the inlet holes on start up, the outer portion of the silicone/nitrile adbv simply opens/moves away from the plate allowing oil to flow in. On shut down the adbv simply covers the holes again, moves back to it's original non use position.

What you may not be seeing seeing or identifying with that diagram/illustration is that there is room, a space, between the element's base endcap and the base plate which allows the outer portion of the adbv to move away from the base plate.

Here's an example of what sayjac is talking about. The spring in the dome end holds the filter's guts tight, and seals just the inner ring area of the ADBV.

When oil is forced through the filter by the oil pump, the outer circumference of the ADBV lifts up lets oil flow into the filter like the photo shows. Of course the ADBV doesn't lift that high in real use, but it does lift up until it hits the end cap just above it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back