Oil filter shortage

The Wix XP and the NAPA Platinum used to be real nice filters before Mann-Hummel bought them out.
I haven't yet seen any design changes in the construction quality of the XP/Platinum, only the cellulose filters. That said, they've never been "real nice" as far as being a high-efficiency filter; WIX won't even publish the filtration efficiencies it's so lackluster.

And that's probably why they'll have louvers for the rest of eternity.
The louvers help create what is known as the Venturi effect allowing for oil to flow through the media at a faster rate. Creating a negative pressure inside the core and the laws of physics happen. Where things of higher pressure migrate to things of lower pressure. And so the theory is better filtered oil at a faster rate.

Yes it is. Unfortunately Subaru requires a 27 psi bypass valve pressure. And that is stated in that thread. The cost to replace the engine out weighs the cost of a oil filter.

No, it would be accurate to say that the bypass spring in Subaru's OEM oil filter is set to 1.6 bar or 23.2 psi. This has been an ongoing source of endless speculation since 2009. No one really knows if that bypass spec only applies to the OEM oil filter or to all oil filters so to be able to function as expected on an applicable Subaru engine.

No, it would be accurate to say that the bypass spring in Subaru's OEM oil filter is set to 1.6 bar or 23.2 psi. This has been an ongoing source of endless speculation since 2009. No one really knows if that bypass spec only applies to the OEM oil filter or to all oil filters so to be able to function as expected on an applicable Subaru engine.
You make a great point. The Tokyo Roki is at 27 psi and the blue fram is at 24 psi so my guess is a psi between 23-27 is what one wants.

The louvers help create what is known as the Venturi effect allowing for oil to flow through the media at a faster rate. Creating a negative pressure inside the core and the laws of physics happen. Where things of higher pressure migrate to things of lower pressure. And so the theory is better filtered oil at a faster rate.
A negative pressure?

I have a hard time believing the Venturi effect has any measurable impact in an oil filter, considering that the entire thing is at the same pressure, and there are hundreds of louvers to allow plenty of flow.

Everything I’ve seen about louvers was strictly a cost-savings measure; louvers do not create millions of little steel circles to errantly end up in the filter or be disposed of. Simply punching a slit is more efficient than stamping a hole. Same thing with plastic cages; there’s already plenty of flow, but plastic cages are cheaper than steel tubes regardless if it’s holed or louvered.

I’m from Missouri here- show me a documented test that shows louvers increase velocity thru the media, please. 👍🏻

I have a hard time believing the Venturi effect has any measurable impact in an oil filter, considering that the entire thing is at the same pressure, and there are hundreds of louvers to allow plenty of flow.

Everything I’ve seen about louvers was strictly a cost-savings measure; louvers do not create millions of little steel circles to errantly end up in the filter or be disposed of. Simply punching a slit is more efficient than stamping a hole. Same thing with plastic cages; there’s already plenty of flow, but plastic cages are cheaper than steel tubes regardless if it’s holed or louvered.

I’m from Missouri here- show me a documented test that shows louvers increase velocity thru the media, please. 👍🏻
My money is on the "no waste" theory

Royal Purple filters are out of stock in lots of models as well. Not sure who makes Subaru filters but RP 10-2867 (Honda and others) have been out of stock for over a year with no end in site.

Yes it is. Unfortunately Subaru requires a 27 psi bypass valve pressure. And that is stated in that thread. The cost to replace the engine out weighs the cost of a oil filter.
The chances of your motor blowing up from incorrect bypass PSI is slim to none. Saying other wise is being over dramatic. Check the specs on what fits and what the bypass is-it's not that great a difference.

Royal Purple filters are out of stock in lots of models as well. Not sure who makes Subaru filters but RP 10-2867 (Honda and others) have been out of stock for over a year with no end in site.

Get a Champ XL PH2867XL, for all intents and purposes it is the exact same construction with blended media instead of full synthetic media. 99% @ 20 microns for up to 15,000 miles.

I run a larger Fram FS10575 on my Subaru Crosstrek. It's rated at 16-28psi bypass, even though I feel this whole Subaru bypass rating thing has been way overblown online. The filter media in these filters flow very well and seeing I'm running a larger one with even more filter media it will only reduce the time the bypass valve may be active.

I run a larger Fram FS10575 on my Subaru Crosstrek. It's rated at 16-28psi bypass, even though I feel this whole Subaru bypass rating thing has been way overblown online. The filter media in these filters flow very well and seeing I'm running a larger one with even more filter media it will only reduce the time the bypass valve may be active.

That is a 22mm filter. Not sure what year you have, but all the ones I know of use a 20mm filter, as being discussed in this thread.

winner! I was wondering how long it would take. Didn't take long. 🤣 I have an anti-siphon adaptor installed which allows me to use a larger filter.
Not long. Tell me more about this. I assume some sort of standpipe?

Back