Oil filter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the title, what do you recommend? I plan on doing a 6-7K mile OCI using Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 oil for a 2014 Honda crv.

Fram Ultra for two filter intervals, it's rated for 15,000 miles and the highest efficiency you can buy. If you want to change the filter at every interval try the Fram Tough Guard for up to 10,000 miles.

I go with Wix, too (NAPA Gold is the same, made by Wix).

There's just something about the makers of the 'Orange can of death'..it's such a piece of junk...that it affects my perceptions of anything Fram makes. No one ever says anything bad about any Wix model.

What is wrong with fram? All their filters are great. I've cut open tons of orange cans and tough guards and the have been perfect inside. All the wix I have used have had half the filter media than an orange can.

Originally Posted By: abycat
What is wrong with fram? All their filters are great. I've cut open tons of orange cans and tough guards and the have been perfect inside. All the wix I have used have had half the filter media than an orange can.

Someone is
Trolling.gif

OP I would think that Wix, Purolator synthetic (or perhaps Pureone depending on driving conditions) or Fram Ultras would be fine for this application.

Last edited:
I'd pick a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra (aka Xtended Guard) oil filter. I would also buy a Fram Tough Guard, Honda OEM, Denso or Wix as well, if trying to save a few bucks.

Royal Purple 10-2867 order from Jegs and they will put it on your front door step for free.

Napa Platinum (Wix XP) is on sale for $7.49 this month at Napa. That actually makes it cheaper than the Gold (standard Wix).

Is 6-7k the OCI that the MM usually suggests?

Purolator Synthetic is also good, and has an awesome textured grip for easy installation and removal. And no tears like the Classic and P1 have.

Nothing wrong with the Fram Ultra, but my first choice would still be Napa Platinum.

Fram Tough Guard
WIX/ Napa Gold
Fram Ultra (for 2 OCI's if you're into that)

Whichever is cheapest/ easiest to get.

This is probably not very severe service for a filter. New engine, synthetic 0-20w, only 6-7K mile OCI... There probably won't be much to filter unless you take it to the desert and run it through a sand storm.

You probably have the sense not to get something that might fall apart but the typical recommended OCI for newer cars is around 7500 miles. so probably any quality standard filter that meets OEM specs should last that long.

Using a filter for two changes is an idea that would be especially appealing for cars that have a hard to reach filter.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Royal Purple 10-2867 order from Jegs and they will put it on your front door step for free.

+1. I forgot about the RP filter. They are arguably the most solid filter on the market today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back