oil filter question

daz

Napa carries wix filters that are made for napa that are supposedly the same as the wix branded of any given number. However, they have 2 versions with the SAME number except for the first number which they say denotes the oil change interval. The filter i use comes in those 3 versions starting at around $6, then $16, then $24. As I said, I was told the different versions are for different oil change intervals. HUGE difference and what i am curios about is are they all the same as far as performance with the only difference being the more u pay the more area in the filter to hold debris? Or is the performance also lesser? The sales guy, and he IS a sales guy after all so who knows, but he said they will all perform the same except that the less cost ones must be replaced sooner. Do u believe that or have reasons to believe different?

Now i realize no one can answer this unless you have done some serious research of your own or read papers on it or whatever. So i don't expect a truly informed anser but i AM hoping someone here does have that one way or another.

I only recommend K&N filters to my customers who are chiefly track orientated for 3 reasons... 1)quality history 2)torque nut 3)safety wire to pass tech inspection... however this video cuts open the Wix filters you were asking about... this is a what you see is what you get tutorial for the layman...

Last edited:
I only recommend K&N filters to my customers who are chiefly track orientated for 3 reasons... 1)quality history 2)torque nut 3)safety wire to pass tech inspection... however this video cuts open the Wix filters you were asking about... this is a what you see is what you get tutorial for the layman...

Thanks, Not much solid advice about whats best, mostly just confusing. But one thing came thru loud and clear right at the beginning is that he pretty much said (at least for the way i interpreted it) that the wix filters that come in good/better/best versions is mostly BS and to go for the cheapest one and it will be as good as the more expensive ones. Glad to hear that because thats just what i did today. I grabbed the $6 one and he only difference the salesman said as i mentioned above is oil change interval. But the video seemed to reinforce my decision so thanks for that. If the change interval is the only difference i imagine that means the area for debris is smaller than the more expensive ones and wouldn't matter if your oil change interval is low which mine is. Maybe something like my honda accord moght require the more expensive one being that it;s interval is 10k. (not that i go that far tho)

Biggest issue with K&N filters is people believing the nut is to be used for install.

The nut is for removal not installation.
Using for install was the reason for many of the filter casing leaks over the past years. Also why they were banned by some racing organizations.

It can't be stated loudly enough, the nut is for removal, not installation.

Using for install was the reason for many of the filter casing leaks over the past years. Also why they were banned by some racing organizations.

Negative... the install wasn't the problem... it was a limited number
of filters with welds that didn't pass quality control...

"There was a K&N safety recall back in 2016 for certain K&N oil
filters, Part Nos. KN-204 (black) and KN-204C (chrome), manufactured
between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016 can leak oil at the area
where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine
oil changes) is welded to the end of the filter. K&N offered to replace
the affected oil filters at no charge."

Nate doesn't know what he's talking about half the time, lol. YouTube click bait master.

Last edited:
I cannot believe anyone here on BITOG would put any value in Nate's evaluation of oil filters. I would like to think that anyone who has spent any time getting educated here on BITOG, would recognize that Nate's review of these filters is entirely opinion. What an idiot! His entire video is based upon visual "inspection", if you can call it that, of the filters. No actual measurement of any feature, let alone anything that can be shown to actually make a difference in filter performance. Instead, he gives us "I don't think I like that. What do you all think?"

At one point he criticizes filters for end caps being made of paper. It's called cellulose, you idiot! And it's a filtration material. Just like the filter media.

About the OP's question... the salesperson is basically correct and their explanation is likely designed for the general public's level of knowledge. Basically, oil filters are rated for certain service intervals. People are supposed to use an oil filter that meets or exceeds the manufacturer's recommended service interval, which is what the salesperson was saying in other words. For BITOG users, that statement could be modified to specify an oil filter that matches whatever service interval the owner is running, not depending on the manufacturer's recommendation. We BITOG users are all engineers and technicians and mechanics after all.
About the nut on K&N oil filters... some manufacturers actually do provide a torque spec for oil filter installation.
About Nate's oil filter reviews... IMO they are good for perceived build quality and not much more. Nothing scientific and not much help in making a purchase decision, especially when price is considered in the decision. The weighing of the filter components especially has me in stitches. As with much other YouTube content, it's mostly for entertainment (and likes/subscriptions).

Back