Oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

q12

I’m new to this forum and would like to ask the following. Just bought a 2013 Subaru Outback with the 4-cyl non-turbo engine. I would appreciate thoughts on using an oil filter. I‘m not high tech so a lot of data wouldn’t mean much to me, maybe just three good filters for average use. I’m not looking for a bargain basement filter nor the top of the line. My change cycle (using synthetic oil) is 6 months/7,500 miles. Is the Wix filter (#57830) a good choice?

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Wix, Purolator PureONE, Bosch Premium, Napa Gold, OEM.

thumbsup2.gif
Its hard to go wrong with a wix/napa gold pureOne or a Bosch!

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Is a NAPA Gold good for 10K?

any filter's probably good for 10k. a napa gold would definitely suffice.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Is a NAPA Gold good for 10K?

Will your warranty allow 10K?

Kruse,

No. 7500mi is the limit in order to maintain warranty.

Originally Posted By: q12
I’m new to this forum and would like to ask the following. Just bought a 2013 Subaru Outback with the 4-cyl non-turbo engine. I would appreciate thoughts on using an oil filter. I‘m not high tech so a lot of data wouldn’t mean much to me, maybe just three good filters for average use. I’m not looking for a bargain basement filter nor the top of the line. My change cycle (using synthetic oil) is 6 months/7,500 miles. Is the Wix filter (#57830) a good choice?

Welcome to the site!

Yes, the Wix is a good filter.

For the 7.5k mile limit, just about any decent brand name filter you'd recognize is going to do juts fine.

While there is some data (I understand you're not really interested in tons of data) that might show one filter "better" in ISO filtration standards, the reality is that in real world use, they simply don't make a lot of difference, if any at all. Just pick a decent brand name, one you can find on sale or is convenient to get, and know that your engine is well protected and will last you a LONG time with simple routine care.

Not that you asked, but the same can be said for oils.

Again - welcome to the nutty world of lube zealots!

Unless it has changed, Subaru specs a much higher than average bypass pressure in their oil filters. I have owned a '97 Outback since new and I know that the Purolator made filters for it have the high bypass pressure. My understanding is that the newer NA ones use a small filter that was required by the turbo models. If there is room, I would run the Purolator PL14460 or L14460. If it won't fit, then the best easy choices are Wix 57712 (also Napa branded), blue dealer Honeywell/Fram or Fram PH9715. Info on all of these is here in BITOG somewhere...

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back