Oil filter past it's best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done a quick OC for a family friend yesterday.

They bought a Citroen C2 VTR 1.6 Sensodrive ('04) a few months ago at a local Car Auction.

It is used as a second car for local use and is a little 4 seater, 3 dr hatchback.

It was bough to replace a similar car they had owned from new and was written off in a rear end collision. The old one was a diesel.

They went against my advi e on buying the Sensodrive, basically an automated manual but with one clutch rather than the two clutches of similar systems today.

Anyways, when bought I checked the fluids for them and the oil was filthy, like a Diesel engine, antifreeze was under strength, front discs had a huge wear lip with newish pads and it was fitted with five mismatched tyres with one being a newish Chinese cheapy and the rest almost illegal.

Had a nice stereo with amp and boombox!

So I got hold of some oil for it, it is specced for anything from a 5w30 A3 to a 0w40 A3.

I had some Magnatec 5w30 A3 and some Edge 5w40 A3/C3. Capacity was 3.2 litres.

So in went 2 litres of Edge and just over a litre of Magnatec.

When I got the filter out( an insert), the pleats broke and squashed in where I had held it, the rest of the pleats were soft and really on their last legs.

I have no photos sadly as did the OC at his house.

After 2 minutes ticking over the oil was already filthy, never seen a petrol engine dirty up that fast ever.

It only does 5/600 miles a month so it will get another. Couple of changes at monthly intervals to clean out the crud.

The car has only 61k miles on it and was certainly owned by an idiot.

Front discs look original to the car, it is going to get the cambelt and water pump changed soon.

Has anybody else had a paper insert filter this old and knackered before. I have never seen one this bad ever.

Even the O ring for the oil filter holder was totally flat and was leaking slightly.

New filter was a Hengst, made in Germany with a new O ring included.

With my previous experience with French petrol engines and a couple of Citreons I always found them fairly easy on oil, in that they never used to dirty it up much even if run past due, several thousand miles in some cases.

I reckon this car had not had an oil and filter change for at least three or four years and probably 30k miles.

Engine still sounded sweet so think it was caught in time.

Not a big fan off oil flushes etc.

So just going to clean it out easy with a few short OCI.

A friend of mine has an ecotec motor and when the changed the filter it was falling part, come to find out it was left in for more than a few oil changes
shocked.gif

Have heard of many cases of engines being ruined if a flush is used at this stage.

Have no issue if they are used from.day one, which a lot of Subaru main dealers do.

Oil.is now properly.filthy and an oil leak has started at the front near oil filter housing, had a lot of gunk there already and hoped it was just knackered flattened O ring that I changed.

I suspect it will be getting a HM oil long term.

The OCI interval.on these is 20k miles or two years from what I can find out. As the car is 8 yrs old I reckon the filter has been in there at least 4 yrs.

Good news is engine is a fair bit quieter and owner says it feels smoother.

Not surprising really. The oil looked like it had done 20k miles in a diesel!

Hopefully it has been saved. Had annual MOT test today and emissions were spot on. So it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back