Oil filter OF-2500 TORN, CUT OPEN 🤬🤬

yeah, I’ve cut probably hundreds of tear o lators that tore in less than 4K also. I’ll stick with WIX and tough guards and ULTRA’s

Don't forget the Motorcraft!! The one you cut open a few weeks back looked really well made. I never did like the Fram's, but the Tough Guards are hard to argue against the quality once I saw one cut open.

Don't forget the Motorcraft!! The one you cut open a few weeks back looked really well made. I never did like the Fram's, but the Tough Guards are hard to argue against the quality once I saw one cut open.

I do not see the value of the TG when you can get the Ultra for less than $2 more but the TG isn't bad just not as value oriented
especially if you use the Ultra out to 20K. I have ran Ultras out 24-27 K on a #7317

Reactions: JC1
Zee09: I understand but my friend with a 2000 Ford with Zetec engine; I get the TG 8316 at rural king for him as there is no ultra version of that filter

Failed at less than 7k. I don’t see how this is the users fault. It should have lasted the factory interval. Then again, a 2019 Suburban and cheap oil and filter and I just scratch my head.

Reminds me of the guys online with 50k+ tractors and want to save $100 by using the cheapest hydraulic fluid possible.

Good job using quality stuff.
Well, I can guarantee you that on the receipt it says “change in 5000 miles”. That’s just what these quick lube places do.
Update: here’s a screenshot of the Brakes Plus website. Still not a user fail? :)

Attachments

• 3C5627FA-7EA4-496D-A35B-94B6158606AF.jpeg
    3C5627FA-7EA4-496D-A35B-94B6158606AF.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 29
Just another thought about the hole in the media. I’ve seen an experiment that showed a paper filter will go into a bypass mode even before 5k. Yes, it’s a limited experiment with an entry level Mann filter, I understand. My point is, this poor guy probably was in the bypass mode anyway so that teared paper hasn’t changed much IMO

It’s probably just me, but I feel like it’s not the filter manufacturer to blame in this situation. I can hardly imagine how anyone can install a cheap filter on a truck and expect it to work just fine for almost 7k miles (I bet not the highway miles). Isn’t that called “You get what you pay for”?

That engine looks to be in decent shape (a 2019 with 51K miles), so 6700 miles isn't hard for any filter to make it through. It tore because the pleat is super wide and the media can't take the flow and delta-p stress across it when folded over. So yeah, it is the manufacturer's fault IMO.

Plenty of torn Motorcraft oil filers have been posted in this forum over the years.

Just another thought about the hole in the media. I’ve seen an experiment that showed a paper filter will go into a bypass mode even before 5k. Yes, it’s a limited experiment with an entry level Mann filter, I understand. My point is, this poor guy probably was in the bypass mode anyway so that teared paper hasn’t changed much IMO

What experiment is that? Link?

What experiment is that? Link?
I’ve seen a few videos by Russian folks, 2 independent bloggers did pretty much the same with similar results. He’s the first one, I’ll send you another one if I find it, it’s been a while

Well, I can guarantee you that on the receipt it says “change in 5000 miles”. That’s just what these quick lube places do.
Update: here’s a screenshot of the Brakes Plus website. Still not a user fail? :)

I can honestly say this is the first non OE interval filter I’ve seen.

I’ve seen a few videos by Russian folks, 2 independent bloggers did pretty much the same with similar results. He’s the first one, I’ll send you another one if I find it, it’s been a while

Too bad the video couldn't be translated. The 2nd filter they tested was a used one they pulled out of the old filter barrel, and it was sludged up pretty bad as shown when they cut it open, so it's no wonder the bypass valve stayed open most of the time, even after the oil was warm/hot.

Member Jim Allen did a similar bypass valve test (with a delta-p sensor at the filter mount) on one of his vehicles and with various oil filters, and found the once the oil warmed up the filter wouldn't go into bypass. Of course if a filter was super loaded up with debris and sludge that would be a different story.

Good Friday Evening BITOGERS

This filter and whatever bulk oil Brakes Plus uses was on a friends 2019 Chevy Suburban for 6,700 miles. Shame, as it’s definitely best to hades and back I’d say and it TORE! I put on a FRAM Tough Guard and some M1 0w20 AFE from my stash. Vehicle has almost 51,200 miles on it. Enjoy the photos.
Look at they happy little sludge smile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201228-035706_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201228-035706_Chrome.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 8
Back