Oil Filter Jenga anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude! ... my god, you're set for 20 years.
shocked.gif

Marco620,

I am most likely going to hang on to a couple of the AC Delco filters for any warranty related repairs and return the rest. Again, don't know what I was thinking.

ZeeOSix,

Let's hope GM keeps using this same filter part number for the next 20 years!

It would be nice if they kept using the same oil filter within their truck engines. I have oil filters for a 88-98 C/K 1500 350 V8 that sadly won't fit my 2002 1500 GenIII LS V8. And the filters I stocked for my 02 won't fit in a 2007-2013 1500 GenVI LS and if I were to buy filters for a 07-13 it won't fit a 2014 GenV LT. I crossed-ref PF63 and it will only fit 2014-up models. Can't guarantee if GM will use those filter numbers in their next gen engines.

IMO bad if you have a mix of older and new trucks.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Even if you changed every filter at 5000 miles you have like 250,000 miles of filters, which is far longer than that engine will probably go.

I don't think I will ever keep a car long enough to go 250,000 miles!

But I am hoping that GM will keep using the PF63 equivalent filters and as long as they do, I am good for years to come. I wonder if the filters will be ok to use after years of sitting in my garage! I though the shelf life of oil filters was no more than 5 years.

The Amsoil and Fram are good for at least ten years. If you ask Fram I think the scripted reply is 8 years iirc. The synthetic media and silicone valves should remain serviceable indefinitely. Just make sure to keep them in humidity controlled areas so they don't rust.

I still have 3 OEM oil filter for my S2000 I bought 9-10 years ago, I plan to use one each year for the next 4 year, I just change oil and filter last week using Wix filter. The Honda OEM oil filters for S2000 are shrink wrapped therefore it will lasted a long long time in storage.

The E430 has four 7-8 years old cartridge filters left. I don't plan to throw it away either. The other car filters were less than 2-3 years old.

Last edited:
Even if you changed every filter at 5000 miles you have like 250,000 miles of filters, which is far longer than that engine will probably go.

250,000 miles is nothing

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

250,000 miles is nothing

yeah I have 310000km on my truck with no signs of that ending.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Nice bike, too!

Thanks! That's my Cannondale that I bought back in 2003 that has seen almost no miles! Right next to it is my Harley which has seen even less miles!!

I told you I would have had you covered with the XG 10575 Ultra filters! No need to pay $10.00 for them! I think my cost on them was less than $6.00 each, free shipping and no tax!!! They came in Fram factory sealed boxes of 6 filters!

After some rearranging of my garage cabinets, I got them ALL to fit as you can see here:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back