Oil filter Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll play, but do you have any other photos of this thing ?
Any dimensions ?
What's inside of it ?
Where is the other fitting located at ?
Is that a foot I see on the bottom of it there ?
Why do you think it's for oil filtration ?
It could be a resevoir.

Keith

It's about 10 1/2 inches from top to bottom,nothing inside,I'm thinking oil filter because it looks just like a fram filter of smaller size,one fitting comes in the side the exit is out of the bottom in center of can both are threaded help?

It's conceivable that it's a filter cartridge housing, but the top cap doesn't look right. How would that domed top hold a filter tightly within that housing ?

I might be wrong but I'd say that's a resevoir for construction equipment of some sort. That's a pretty hefty bracket welded to it with what looks like four bolt holes in it. They wanted to be sure it was well secured to whatever it was supposed to stay on.

Where did you come across it. Is there a back story you can share ? More photos, particularly of the inside would be helpful.

Keith

Just a guess - because of the orange paint, I'm wondering if it isn't an add on oil filter from the 1950s Chevrolets. I've seen thing similar to that on older chevys.

Originally Posted By: madibob
Just a guess - because of the orange paint, I'm wondering if it isn't an add on oil filter from the 1950s Chevrolets.

I think you're right. An early 1950s Chev grain truck we used to have had a similar setup. It was so long ago that I really couldn't be sure how similar they are, but the domed top, at least, looks identical.

The one I'm talking about was a one ton, the old Chev. It's difficult to tell size from a picture, but it seems that the assembly you're showing is taller than the one mine had. Mine looked more "squat." But, that was many, many years ago, so I can't be sure. I do know that an AC filter was available for it back when we used the truck.

i think its to tall for a reg engine, ie chevy, dodge ect. my guess is its for a large engine, diesel, big truck. just a guess.

Well, I'm going to be close, but not give you the exact application. It looks real close to being a filter for a Cockshutt 30 tractor from the late 40s to the early 50s that used a Buda 4-153 engine. The reason I say close is because the bracket that is welded to it is not exactly the same as what a Cockshutt used, but is real similar.
On the top, does it specify a Kralinator oil filter part number?
(My real guess is that it's an industrial filter for some off-road engine, but that's just a guess)

For fun I loitered in Google Images regarding this. The housing kinda looks like early Chevy, Ford and Fram filter housings. It does NOT look like Mopar or Purolator housings. That's all I got...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back