Oil filter has only 2k miles but 2 years on it. Can I leave it on for next oil change?

I have a 1994 Mustang Cobra that rarely gets used, which means I have to change the oil annually instead of according to mileage.

I'm using Mobil Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W30.
Filter is a FRAM TG16 rated for up to 15k miles.

Last oil change I left the filter on (well I emptied the old oil out of it then screwed it back on) but changed the oil. Can I leave the filter on again for the next oil change? In other words, do they get bad with age (and not just mileage)? There's only 2k miles on the filter at this point, so I don't want to be wasteful if it's not needed. The manufacturer only mentions a mileage interval to change it, not a time interval, so I assume it's ok:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

No, don't leave it on. The filter is so cheap there's no reason not to change it. Also, if it's left on there too long, it might not come off, even with a hammer an screwdriver.

Don't leave an oil filter screwed on to an iron block for years and years. Make sure you oil the gasket good when installing the new filter.

Almost everybody recommends an oil change every year regardless of mileage, and they'll say x miles or one year, whatever comes first. One main exception is the Chevy Volt, a series hybrid that only runs the gas engine to charge the battery pack, in which case the max is 2 years.

Thanks. I was looking for something more concrete/scientific other than "it's cheap, do it". I'm on a budget with this car and don't want to spend money on things that aren't needed. Regarding the iron block and filter, I can inspect it for rust and lubricate at each oil change.

The oil filter manufacturers only give a mileage interval to change them, unlike the oil manufacturers which give both a mileage and time interval. Which to me means, keep using it until getting close to the mileage interval (as long as the oil itself is changed at least annually).

Thanks. I was looking for something more concrete/scientific other than "it's cheap, do it".

Honda and a few other manufacturers say to change the oil filter every other oil change, so that could mean the filter stays on for 2 years. I've went 2 years on oil and filter on a few of my cars that don't get driven very much per year.

The key it to always driver it for quite awhile when it does get driven so the oil gets to full temperature for quite a while so all condensation is burned off. Never had any issues doing it that way.

Honda and a few other manufacturers say to change the oil filter every other oil change, so that could mean the filter stays on for 2 years. I've went 2 years on oil and filter on a few of my cars that don't get driven very much per year.

The key it to always driver it for quite awhile when it does get driven so the oil gets to full temperature for quite a while so all condensation is burned off. Never had any issues doing it that way.
That's what Honda specs, not Ford.
And, if others that keep their filters on for multiple OCI's decide to jump from a cliff, will you jump too? :D

Besides worrying about the gasket, I don’t see a big rush to take it off.

And since you mention savings, you could save half the money you spent oh Mobil 1 and grab some Supertech HM synthethic which will be more than fine for that mileage......

John Q. Public brings his 2019 Ford Fusion to the Ford dealership for a rod knocking sound. The service manager asks to see his OCI records and receipts. He asks Mr. Public why he is not changing his oil filter at every OCI? Mr. Public tells him that a member at an oil website states that Honda recommends to change the oil filter at every other OCI. Member X there states that if Honda says it's okay then l should be okay doing it as well.
So, Ford does an investigation and finds the oil filter to be loaded up to the point that it caused damage to the bearings. Will member X at that oil website pay for your new engine being Ford won't?
Sure, it sounds far fetched. But, just because Honda recommends it, and you drive a Ford, ..........well, you get the point.

John Q. Public brings his 2019 Ford Fusion to the Ford dealership for a rod knocking sound. The service manager asks to see his OCI records and receipts. He asks Mr. Public why he is not changing his oil filter at every OCI? Mr. Public tells him that a member at an oil website states that Honda recommends to change the oil filter at every other OCI. Member X there states that if Honda says it's okay then l should be okay doing it as well.
So, Ford does an investigation and finds the oil filter to be loaded up to the point that it caused damage to the bearings. Will member X at that oil website pay for your new engine being Ford won't?
Sure, it sounds far fetched. But, just because Honda recommends it, and you drive a Ford, ..........well, you get the point.

It is far fetched, and would never be loaded up like that if only used 2K miles per year like the OP indicated, mostly if the filter is rated for 15 miles. You're going way off tangent of the focus of the discussion.

Welcome to the site!

No, don't leave it on. The filter is so cheap there's no reason not to change it. Also, if it's left on there too long, it might not come off, even with a hammer an screwdriver.

Don't leave an oil filter screwed on to an iron block for years and years. Make sure you oil the gasket good when installing the new filter.

Almost everybody recommends an oil change every year regardless of mileage, and they'll say x miles or one year, whatever comes first. One main exception is the Chevy Volt, a series hybrid that only runs the gas engine to charge the battery pack, in which case the max is 2 years.

Leaving a filter on a cast iron block “for years and years” can cause issues? First time ever reading this. The filter has a rubber gasket and the threads would be constantly submerged in oil. Assuming the threads aren’t damaged and the filter is torqued correctly, I don’t see any issues especially on a car that only sees 2k a year and likely driven in perfect weather conditions (if can rust is a concern?)

OP would be fine to use another season although I personally wouldn’t remove the filter to drain the oil.. or at least make a habit of it.

2k a year is really nothing. If you can get it hot every time to remove moisture with some decent highway miles, one could easily change the oil and filter every other or every 3rd year.

It's ok for just two years, but not that great reusing the gasket. An Ultra for two years has all synthetic fibers and metal end caps, no cellulose, I think that would be safer and better. Or a Super Tech every year, cost would be about the same.

Reactions: JC1
On the other hand, does your Ford owner's manual tell you that you must change the oil filter each OCI to preserve your new car warranty?

As an aside that would have to be a really wrecked engine to load up a filter (any filter) in one OCI. If it were that bad the filter condition would be least of the dealership's concern.

Leaving a filter on a cast iron block “for years and years” can cause issues? First time ever reading this. The filter has a rubber gasket and the threads would be constantly submerged in oil. Assuming the threads aren’t damaged and the filter is torqued correctly, I don’t see any issues especially on a car that only sees 2k a year and likely driven in perfect weather conditions (if can rust is a concern?)

OP would be fine to use another season although I personally wouldn’t remove the filter to drain the oil.. or at least make a habit of it.

2k a year is really nothing. If you can get it hot every time to remove moisture with some decent highway miles, one could easily change the oil and filter every other or every 3rd year.

I tried to remove an oil filter from a 3800 and it was practically seized! Even a hammer and screwdriver couldn't get it off! I was able to eventually remove it, but boy was that thing on there! It is possible that the gasket wasn't oiled.

Even similarly overtightened filters on other cars came off with a hammer and screwdriver.

Back