Oil Filter for Kia/Hyundai 3.3L GDI - 2 types?

Practically speaking after everything is tightened down the big flat rubber ring ends up pressing down far enough into the housing to cover the drain hole and stop oil flow through it, otherwise you'd have the same problem as if you installed the nipple filter incorrectly.

I'm confident after looking at the filter housing and one of the flat bottom filters (which ironically, I found one in my stash of filters) that there is zero chance of creating a seal over the drain hole. The raised portion extends to the hole on both sides, the rubber would have to form over the hole just right, and it's not particularly flexible. Not a chance, IMO. I'll take a photo next time I have the housing open and revisit this.

I'm confident after looking at the filter housing and one of the flat bottom filters (which ironically, I found one in my stash of filters) that there is zero chance of creating a seal over the drain hole. The raised portion extends to the hole on both sides, the rubber would have to form over the hole just right, and it's not particularly flexible. Not a chance, IMO. I'll take a photo next time I have the housing open and revisit this.
I don't know what to tell you, but I promise that that's what happens. Like I said, our shop and I have been personally using them for a long time, and when you pull a used one out you can see the indentation of the drain hole in the rubber. They're pretty few and far between, but next time I see one I'll look into it as well, and if I can get a good pic I'll update the thread.

I don't know what to tell you, but I promise that that's what happens. Like I said, our shop and I have been personally using them for a long time, and when you pull a used one out you can see the indentation of the drain hole in the rubber. They're pretty few and far between, but next time I see one I'll look into it as well, and if I can get a good pic I'll update the thread.
That would be awesome if you could get a pic. If I can be confident the seal is okay, I'll use these couple filters I have. I'll try fitting one on my next oil change and see if it looks like it will seal.

I must have bought them with another RA purchase and forgot about them until now. Brand is Auto Extra, made in USA. Look like quality filters, I have a hunch they are reboxed Wix filters. Here's a link to the product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-of-12...ine-Oil-Filters-fits-Hyundai-KIA/114351283694

Back