Oil Filter for Kia/Hyundai 3.3L GDI - 2 types?

I'm seeing two types of oil filters listed on Rockauto, one I'm familiar with because it looks like every other filter I've installed on the vehicle, and looks just like the OEM filter. Then there's another style which is missing a nipple on the top, but otherwise looks about the same size. Are these two interchangeable? I found a good deal on a 6-pack of Wix filters on Ebay, but they look to be the latter style without the nipple. What purpose does the nipple serve?

See photos: OEM-like filter on top, Wix filter (seemingly different style) on bottom. If I do get the Wix filter, I suppose they install in either orientation? They look symmetrical.

of2.jpg

of1.jpg

Here's the filter I'm referring to:

It's shown as being compatible. A reviewer mentioned the nipple-less filter is an updated design, but not sure I trust an anonymous Amazon reviewer.

Okay I think I answered my own question. I have a new filter on hand that has the small nipple and after studying it, I think I see what's going on here.

The nipple is just a plastic protrusion that holds an O-ring. It's not hollow and no oil can flow through it, its only purpose is to seal the oil drain hole by providing an o-ring seal into it.

The flat style filter simply has a rubber gasket on top and bottom, so it seals that oil drain hole through pressure on the base of the filter.

What I can gather is that Kia must have had issues with that oil return not sealing completely, or sometimes draining down oil, so they improved the drain sealing by adding that plastic bit with the O-ring. So I surmise that the flat-style filter is the OLD design, which is contrary to what the Amazon reviewer stated. Wix website seems to back this up, they list the WL10082 (flat bottom) as compatible with my vehicle BUT superseded by WL10164, which has the plastic nipple.

Wish I could find a newer style filter with that metal filter surround; these filters distort some while in use, even the OEM ones in my experience.

Here's the filter I'm referring to:

It's shown as being compatible. A reviewer mentioned the nipple-less filter is an updated design, but not sure I trust an anonymous Amazon reviewer.
Use the WIX MPARR posted. If not your oil light will flicker; that’s why that nipple with o ring is there. Ask me how I know; work had thousands with 3.3 and we used WIX

Okay I think I answered my own question. I have a new filter on hand that has the small nipple and after studying it, I think I see what's going on here.

The nipple is just a plastic protrusion that holds an O-ring. It's not hollow and no oil can flow through it, its only purpose is to seal the oil drain hole by providing an o-ring seal into it.

The flat style filter simply has a rubber gasket on top and bottom, so it seals that oil drain hole through pressure on the base of the filter.

What I can gather is that Kia must have had issues with that oil return not sealing completely, or sometimes draining down oil, so they improved the drain sealing by adding that plastic bit with the O-ring. So I surmise that the flat-style filter is the OLD design, which is contrary to what the Amazon reviewer stated. Wix website seems to back this up, they list the WL10082 (flat bottom) as compatible with my vehicle BUT superseded by WL10164, which has the plastic nipple.

Wish I could find a newer style filter with that metal filter surround; these filters distort some while in use, even the OEM ones in my experience.
Filter with barb keeps oil lamp from coming on or flickering. Saw improper filters used and the oil lamp come on.

Rock Auto isn’t the best way to match up oil filters. Go directly to the filter manufacturer’s website and input your automobile manufacturer’s information or type in the OE filter number for a cross reference.

Have used both filters multiple times on customer cars with no issue. The issue they were having with the OE style filter with the nipple is that minimum wage lube techs weren't figuring out how to clock the filter in the housing properly, causing the nipple to break off of the filter. That by itself is pretty innocuous, however not plugging the drain hole causes the engine to have zero oil pressure, as at this point everything going into the filter housing was just getting dumped back into the pan and bypassing the entire rest of the oiling system. The nipple-less filter was the aftermarkets answer for something more foolproof is all.

Have used both filters multiple times on customer cars with no issue. The issue they were having with the OE style filter with the nipple is that minimum wage lube techs weren't figuring out how to clock the filter in the housing properly, causing the nipple to break off of the filter. That by itself is pretty innocuous, however not plugging the drain hole causes the engine to have zero oil pressure, as at this point everything going into the filter housing was just getting dumped back into the pan and bypassing the entire rest of the oiling system. The nipple-less filter was the aftermarkets answer for something more foolproof is all.
LOL I'm just sure in my mind if we just paid them $15 an hour this problem would be solved over night! 😂

LOL I'm just sure in my mind if we just paid them $15 an hour this problem would be solved over night! 😂
OK, maybe using "minimum wage" in place of "underqualified" was ill advised, but im sure you knew what I meant :LOL:

This nonsense is why I don't like these type of filters. Give me a can or no car...lol
Here we go. These type of filters are located under the hood and are many times easier to change than crawling under neath the car. Not to mention far less metal to recycle.

Same for a Subaru....but less parts to fail and no orings to mess with.
They could do that with a can...right??
Its a round part on the bottom of the filter element that goes in to a round hole. The round part has a rubber washer on it. This is more of a case of VERY UNSKILLED LABOR verses a faulty design. You an feel it set when you install it. I wish they would have used a regular filter. The cost of these at Walmart are far more than a can one.

I opted to get the "newer" style filter with the nipple. Here's why:

At the base of the filter housing there's a raised plastic ring (flange?) that goes around the filter housing in the center of where the base of the filter would contact. The raised ring is interrupted by the oil drain hole, but otherwise it's a complete circle. If one were to install the flat bottom filter, it would sit about 1/8" higher than the drain hole and prevent it from sealing. I wish I'd taken a picture.

I can clearly see the inlet and outlet of the filter housing, the drain hole I believe is just there to empty the housing when you remove the cap/filter. So I suspect that needs to be sealed, which is the purpose of that plastic nipple with the o-ring. I could see no way how the flat bottom filter would create that seal; the bottom of the filter contacts that raised ring, or flange if you will.

I'm beginning to think at one point Kia had a different style filter housing that was completely flat at the bottom-- that's the only way I see that older design working.

FWIW, I prefer the metal can filters myself (if for no other reason than they're less expensive with more choices), but the cartridge setup on the 3.3L is mess free and pretty foolproof.

As I did the oil change, I found myself wondering how Kia could come up with such clever engineering (like their air filter housing which is absolutely genius), but still put the **** oil filler hole in such an awful location that it requires a funnel.

Last edited:
I opted to get the "newer" style filter with the nipple. Here's why:

At the base of the filter housing there's a raised plastic ring (flange?) that goes around the filter housing in the center of where the base of the filter would contact. The raised ring is interrupted by the oil drain hole, but otherwise it's a complete circle. If one were to install the flat bottom filter, it would sit about 1/8" higher than the drain hole and prevent it from sealing. I wish I'd taken a picture.

I can clearly see the inlet and outlet of the filter housing, the drain hole I believe is just there to empty the housing when you remove the cap/filter. So I suspect that needs to be sealed, which is the purpose of that plastic nipple with the o-ring. I could see no way how the flat bottom filter would create that seal; the bottom of the filter contacts that raised ring, or flange if you will.

I'm beginning to think at one point Kia had a different style filter housing that was completely flat at the bottom-- that's the only way I see that older design working.

FWIW, I prefer the metal can filters myself (if for no other reason than they're less expensive with more choices), but the cartridge setup on the 3.3L is mess free and pretty foolproof.

As I did the oil change, I found myself wondering how Kia could come up with such clever engineering (like their air filter housing which is absolutely genius), but still put the **** oil filler hole in such an awful location that it requires a funnel.
Practically speaking after everything is tightened down the big flat rubber ring ends up pressing down far enough into the housing to cover the drain hole and stop oil flow through it, otherwise you'd have the same problem as if you installed the nipple filter incorrectly.

Back