Oil filter components

I don’t know if this is of any concern but I’ve noticed during my oil filter cutting that some manufacturers use a rubbery type seal between the filter cartridge and end plate and some a hard plastic type bushing. Just curious what everyone else thinks or knows about this. I personally think the softer, better sealing bushing, seal or gasket would be better than the hard, non conforming bushing. What is y’all’s opinion or any facts about this?

you mean for anti-drainback?

amsoil oil filter.jpg

No this is on filters with no adbv and no bypass valve. Fleetgaurd and Donaldson use a rubbery bushing while Baldwin uses a harder plastic type bushing on the filters for my CTD. Just wondering if it really makes a difference.

No this is on filters with no adbv and no bypass valve. Fleetgaurd and Donaldson use a rubbery bushing while Baldwin uses a harder plastic type bushing on the filters for my CTD. Just wondering if it really makes a difference.

rubber seems better IMO. I use Mopar or Fleetguard only on my Cummins. The Mopar I C&P’ed in the fall had rubber.

Just my $0.02

Does to me too but I would like more info from the minions. I’ve noticed some filters with the bypass valve mounted at the top of some filters is made out of metal with no other seal of any kind. I know the Baldwin on my truck right now is keeping the oil fairly clean.
The BD 7317 dual flow filter was the same.

Last edited:
Does to me too but I would like more info from the minions. I’ve noticed some filters with the bypass valve mounted at the top of some filters is made out of metal with no other seal of any kind.
Yes, quite a few filters just have a metal-to-metal seal, and they don't seem to have super efficiency ... perhaps from not a perfect seal in some areas.

I don’t know if this is of any concern but I’ve noticed during my oil filter cutting that some manufacturers use a rubbery type seal between the filter cartridge and end plate and some a hard plastic type bushing. Just curious what everyone else thinks or knows about this. I personally think the softer, better sealing bushing, seal or gasket would be better than the hard, non conforming bushing. What is y’all’s opinion or any facts about this?

On the oil filters, you're talking about,
I think the plastic insert that fits between the filter end cap and base plate helps keep the filter element stay straight and snug.

Reactions: JTK
Back